
Yesterday, I volunteered at a multicultural fair at the boys school and one thing that stood out for me again being on the campus is that all the children had such nice manners, seemingly had an elevated respect for elders. They all said please, thank you and were polite. When I'd pass children in the hall ways they greeted me by smiling, saying hello and in such a nice respectful manner. I beamed. The boys attend a private Catholic school not far from our home.
See, the thing is, we live on the same block as one of, if not, the best elementary school in my county! So recently, with the economy being crazy as it has many people have urged me and Trinihubby to pull the kids out of the private parochial school they attend and enroll them in the excellent public school in my county. "You'd save money," they said. It would be ideal situation and I have been thinking more and more about doing that though I do not think Cboy will adjust as well as JBoy to a new environment in the middle of the semester like that. Whenever folks used to ask us why we made our school choice, I always tell them that we are Catholic and want to make sure our kids are exposed to the tenets of our faith even in the school setting. "What's wrong with just sending them to Sunday School and Saving money and sticking them in the public school?" is the question I often hear back.
My experience yesterday helped reinforce my decision. When Trinihubby and I first moved into the neighborhood, we didn't even have any children, but I recall going down to the local public school for a May fair event they had where they invited the entire neighborhood. It was a fun time, but I found the children, all of whom attended that school were boisterous rowdy, rude and rambunctious. They'd run past my husband and I, practically knocking us to the ground and they wouldn't even look back! It took me aback but at that point, Trinihubby and I (both of us went to Catholic schools for part of our education) shook our heads and said, hmm maybe the discipline that they don't and aren't allowed to teach in public school.
Over the course of the three years we've had our son in Catholic school, we agree with others who say that a once a week religion class cannot substitute for the religious upbringing and exposing him in a faith community with many of the same values. The curriculum focuses on teaching basic skills and an atmosphere that demands respect for authority and self-discipline. Plus, considerable attention is usually focused on maintaining order. We believe that there are fewer discipline problems because and in some of the more selective schools, they do not admit children with a history of discipline problems so you can be rest assured the learning environment will include children ready to learn and without other issues and distractions.
I mean when considering a school for a child, many parents consider (1) academic reputation and college prepareation (2) school and class size; (3) safety reputation; (4) special programs; (5) costs; (6) religious and moral instructions; (7) location; and (8) ideology. All things neatral, I think the cost may be worth it, if affordable, when it comes to religious and moral instruction for us, we're willing to stick it out there with private school.
Many studies support that private school children are more likely than public school students to complete a bachelor’s or advanced degree by their mid-20s and far less likely to not complete a post-secondary education. Other reports note that Catholic students in public school have greater educational aspirations for themselves. Additionally, participation in church activities in addition to family and community involvement lead to higher motivation that results in better math and reading skills.
The discipline and strictness concept as they relate to parochial v. public school was not lost on me today even as I saw a group of high school kids who go to a public school that has required a uniform policy (Most of the public schools in my county now require uniforms) None of the boys had their shirts tucked in their pants and many of the girls had retrofitted their uniforms to reflect individual style so much that it was no longer a uniform and they had managed to sexualize even a tan skirt and polo shirt. There is no way Sister Mary Alice from my old Catholic school would have let that fly. I got sent to the principal's office the day I decided to wear black socks instead of navy blue or white!
With all that said, I know a truckload of kids who had severe behaviorial and acting out problems and bouts of depression I believe on account of being stressed out so much about the negative effects of failure. Everyone I know tells me of at least one "catholic school girl" with a bad reputation and that the boys are cocky arrogant and have "issues". I know that without coping mechanisms and support from family that failure is okay, there are plenty of private and parochial school kids walking around messed up. And Lord knows there are plenty of Secular Montossori, Charter and Magnet schools that are excellent even though they do not promote religion. It's about what's best for everyone and I think the choice is clear for us.
I think yesterday was wonderful in helping me confirm my decision.
It's about balancing options.
source: U of Mich. Dept of Psychology Religion in Education
photo source
See, the thing is, we live on the same block as one of, if not, the best elementary school in my county! So recently, with the economy being crazy as it has many people have urged me and Trinihubby to pull the kids out of the private parochial school they attend and enroll them in the excellent public school in my county. "You'd save money," they said. It would be ideal situation and I have been thinking more and more about doing that though I do not think Cboy will adjust as well as JBoy to a new environment in the middle of the semester like that. Whenever folks used to ask us why we made our school choice, I always tell them that we are Catholic and want to make sure our kids are exposed to the tenets of our faith even in the school setting. "What's wrong with just sending them to Sunday School and Saving money and sticking them in the public school?" is the question I often hear back.
My experience yesterday helped reinforce my decision. When Trinihubby and I first moved into the neighborhood, we didn't even have any children, but I recall going down to the local public school for a May fair event they had where they invited the entire neighborhood. It was a fun time, but I found the children, all of whom attended that school were boisterous rowdy, rude and rambunctious. They'd run past my husband and I, practically knocking us to the ground and they wouldn't even look back! It took me aback but at that point, Trinihubby and I (both of us went to Catholic schools for part of our education) shook our heads and said, hmm maybe the discipline that they don't and aren't allowed to teach in public school.
Over the course of the three years we've had our son in Catholic school, we agree with others who say that a once a week religion class cannot substitute for the religious upbringing and exposing him in a faith community with many of the same values. The curriculum focuses on teaching basic skills and an atmosphere that demands respect for authority and self-discipline. Plus, considerable attention is usually focused on maintaining order. We believe that there are fewer discipline problems because and in some of the more selective schools, they do not admit children with a history of discipline problems so you can be rest assured the learning environment will include children ready to learn and without other issues and distractions.
I mean when considering a school for a child, many parents consider (1) academic reputation and college prepareation (2) school and class size; (3) safety reputation; (4) special programs; (5) costs; (6) religious and moral instructions; (7) location; and (8) ideology. All things neatral, I think the cost may be worth it, if affordable, when it comes to religious and moral instruction for us, we're willing to stick it out there with private school.
Many studies support that private school children are more likely than public school students to complete a bachelor’s or advanced degree by their mid-20s and far less likely to not complete a post-secondary education. Other reports note that Catholic students in public school have greater educational aspirations for themselves. Additionally, participation in church activities in addition to family and community involvement lead to higher motivation that results in better math and reading skills.
The discipline and strictness concept as they relate to parochial v. public school was not lost on me today even as I saw a group of high school kids who go to a public school that has required a uniform policy (Most of the public schools in my county now require uniforms) None of the boys had their shirts tucked in their pants and many of the girls had retrofitted their uniforms to reflect individual style so much that it was no longer a uniform and they had managed to sexualize even a tan skirt and polo shirt. There is no way Sister Mary Alice from my old Catholic school would have let that fly. I got sent to the principal's office the day I decided to wear black socks instead of navy blue or white!
With all that said, I know a truckload of kids who had severe behaviorial and acting out problems and bouts of depression I believe on account of being stressed out so much about the negative effects of failure. Everyone I know tells me of at least one "catholic school girl" with a bad reputation and that the boys are cocky arrogant and have "issues". I know that without coping mechanisms and support from family that failure is okay, there are plenty of private and parochial school kids walking around messed up. And Lord knows there are plenty of Secular Montossori, Charter and Magnet schools that are excellent even though they do not promote religion. It's about what's best for everyone and I think the choice is clear for us.
I think yesterday was wonderful in helping me confirm my decision.
It's about balancing options.
source: U of Mich. Dept of Psychology Religion in Education
photo source
No comments:
Post a Comment