Thursday, March 22, 2007

Dear Mischiefmakers

Dear Mischiefmaker#1,

During our ride to grandma's this afternoon, I realize there are a couple of things I want to let you know, in writing.

Just because you are bright enough to remember directions and have learned our traveling course to school, to grandmas, to the park, to your friends' house, there really is no need for you to guide me at every stop. I appreciate you so much sweetie, but really do not need you to announce at every turn, "Go this way, mommy," "Turn that way," "No, No, Not this road, the next one." I got this baby. We'll arrive safely (God willing)

Daddy already told you not to cry every time Mischiefmaker#2 hits you. Although we are working on Mischiefmaker#2 's bad habit of smacking you all the time, you really got to take it more like a man, well at least a big brother. Yes, I admit, the attack with the toy golf club and the head butting was very naughty on Mischiefmaker#2 's part. However, I notice that lately, you've been crowding Mischiefmaker#2 's space on purpose in hopes that he will wallup you upside your head and you can wail, "MISCHIEFMAKER#2 HIT ME,!WWWHHHHAAA." I'm beginning to think, you are getting a kick out of watching us fuss at Mischiefmaker#2.

You are such a great big brother. Even though our first instincts when we hear Mischiefmaker#2 bawling when you are together is to yell at you, "Mischiefmaker#1, what did you do?", we know that many times you are taking something bad out of Mischiefmaker#2's mouth, moving him away from something dangerous or doing something else that big brothers do to help out their little brother. That's very good.


Dear Mischiefmaker#2,

Just a little note to remind you of a few things to keep in mind as you toddle about...

You have to stop pouring water and every bottle of liquid you get your hands on onto the back of my jeans, the bedspread, on the floors, etc. How many times must we tell you, right side up?

And just because it is small enough to fit in your mouth, doesn't mean you have to put every golf ball, ring, pen, toy car in there. I know you are a baby and learn to explore by tasting, but baby, you are turning two in two weeks, and it's high time to move past this stage, won't you agree?

You are going to ruin it for us getting babysitters if you keep writing all over their floors and walls the way you do. I can get over you writing on my business papers I leave on the office desk, but not everyone will be so forgiving. Let's limit the crayon marks to drawing papers, shall we?

You crack me up when you put on my and daddy's shoes and clog around the house. You put a smile on my face whenever I see that. See, I don't only fuss when you are mischievous.

Love,

Mom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious post! I need a copy of this memo for my little water wielding toddler of terror :)

JayJayGhatt said...

ha! i love your blog, Yo! i didn't even know you had this up...and for sooo long! wow! gotta add you to my list of mommy blogs to read. im up to 5 already now.

Anonymous said...

I love this! Too funny!
What is it with second kids and the aggression and violence towards their older sib? I actually had to sit my now 4 year old daughter down and explain to her that although I appreciate the fact that she is a non-violent sort who will not hit back her baby sis, she needs to not just sit and take all the licks meted out but at LEAST say "stop!" or "don't!" or take whatever the weapon of choice is away from her sister. Sheesh!

Skettleton said...

I love this too...I might have to write a little letter of my own...I'll make sure to link back to you though ;)