Thursday, March 15, 2007

Who's afraid of Mommy? Not me.

Today, Mischiefmaker#1 says in his usual passive agressive way, "Mom, it's too late for sugar?"
I tell the boy to tell me what he wants and stop di foolishness and spit out his request. Bring in what you want, Mischiefmaker#1, I tell him.

He goes for an oreo cookie. I figure since he ate his dinner and didn't have dessert what will one cookie do. Obviously, Mischiefmaker#1 knows that his father, who is the disciplinarian in the family is also quite strict about the boys eating sweets too close to bedtime. Mischiefmaker#1 has gotten his fair share of stern "NOs!" screamed in his face so, he knows he can't get away with much with TriniD.

Me, I'm the pushover. My word is worth junk in Mischiefmaker#1's eyes. Whenever I give him permission to go outside or eat a certain snack, he knows better not to take much stock in whatever I say, he'll go straight to his Daddy and confirm things with the real leader of the house. Hrmpf!

On this particular night, Mischiefmaker#1 wants the cookie too bad to get validation from his Daddy who will most likely deny his request. Instead, he nibbles the cookie and in between bites, hides the evidence of the remaining cookie behind his back.

Mischiefmaker#1 paces the first floor hallway while devouring his cookie. He knows Daddy is not around and takes the opportunity to demolish this cookie. He calls at me. I'm reading the paper in the guest bedroom. "Daddy, sure is taking a long time downstairs." "Daddy, sure is taking a long time. What is he doing down there?" Meanwhile, he is really asking me to confirm for him that TriniD will indeed be hanging out downstairs for a while.

Certainly, he wouldn't want his daddy to come upstairs and BUST HIM!

TriniD was down there packing for his trip to Jamaica to see the West Indies play in the cricket world cup, but suddenly he runs upstairs to grab a pair of shoes out of the guest room closet.

Mischiefmaker#1 runs onto the guest room bed and pulls the covers over his head and then proceeds to stuff the remaining bites in his mouth. Whew! That was a close one!

2 comments:

Skettleton said...

lol oh oh poor thing, my child would have sold me out AND eaten his cookie like 'look what mummy gave me!'

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable.