Tuesday, May 15, 2007

7 Random Things About Me


Now as I stray to narcissism zone, a place I visit and visit often, please note that my trip there is because Shaz tagged me and therefore, I feel much obliged to participate IN MY VERY FIRST BLOG TAG! How geeky am I over this honor? VERY GEEKED! Let's begin, shall we?

1. At age 4, I spoke three African languages when I first immigrated to the United States 29 years ago. It only took 4 months of preschool to lose them all! (shame on my parents for speaking only English because they wanted me to assimilate. How I wish I still spoke those languages)

2. Like Shaz, I don't Iron, Ever. My solution to wrinkles is to throw the item in the dryer for a quick spin.

3. Also like Shaz, I have lots of ideas that my husband calls "Hair brained"...but when one of these ideas turns me into a millioniairess, I'm certain he will be the first one to eat his hat! He's gonna be the Stedman to my Oprah, the Marc Anthony to my J.Lo, the Mark Consuelos to my Kelly Ripa.

4. I was Catholic, then Muslim and now Catholic again. The story is I grew up Catholic because my Catholic mother was tired of sitting around waiting for her Muslim husband to instill his religion in her children. When he found Allah when I was 17 years old, he sent us all to Arabic school and the Mosque. But of course by then, my faith and believe set were solidified and I was very much Christian and I challenged my teachers. Dazed and confused, out of my parents' home during college, I practiced nothing until I met my Catholic husband and eventually took the formal route to "re-Catholicizing" myself.

5. I love to travel and have been to the east and west coast of the US and to 4 of the 6 continents. I know Antarctica is the 7th continent, but I don't see myself traveling there this lifetime. The coolest stop-overs during travel: Iceland and Brussels. My islands traveled to: (Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Grenada, Saint Maarten, St. Martin and of course, Trinidad & Tobago) I'd love to travel to Australia and Asia soon.

6. I was born on the 6th day of my birth month (September), just like my youngest son (April) and only brother (February). My eldest son, husband and mom are all Cancers and I firmly believe that astrology and birth order affects a person's personality. Those moody and crabby Cancers know how to test my patience and my middle child sister is so angst-filled, it isn't funny! LOL!

7. I'm an avid adult class taker since my immigrant parents didn't have money to send me to classes, nor the American obsessive culture of overbooking children in classes. To date I've taken Adult Ballet, Golf, African dance, Hip Hop Dance, Kickboxing, Tennis, Adult Gymnastics and others I can't remember or am too ashamed to share! LOL!

I am tagging Traci, Yemi, Ms. Behaving and Tanyetta my most frequent commenters of late.

Photo: I took during the inaugural trip a nonprofit I founded made to Sierra Leone. It was the first time I'd gone back in 29 years! Here are photos of that visit.

16 comments:

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Hey JJ...Thanks for the tag--It gave me something to blog about today!

LOL @ #3!!!

Paula D. said...

Wow! Very interesting!

Miss Snarky Pants said...

OH...BTW, Great photos!!

*Tanyetta* said...

#3 is on point girl. i am not mad you for that one. :)

i have NO idea what to MEME about. ok lemme go and figure this one out. LOL

MERE UTTERANCE said...

Hello JJ,

Anything and everything about Africa interests me. I am so glad to learn you are from the Motherland!! I vow to travel to Africa one day (with tremendous excitement).

Take care, Mere Utterance

P.S. One day I will share with you my close encounter with one of the greatest (humans) on earth....Nelson Mandela.

Peace!

shaz said...

hey... thanks for playing along! :)
u're very interesting! lol
you know I wish that I knew different languages too, it kinda sucks knowning just one, especially being 'brown' in canada... everyone ASSUMES you know something besides english!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Thanks for the tag. Will post mine soon:) Also, what an interesting life you have had!

JayJayGhatt said...

Ms. behaving, saw your post. funny! i like your spin on it.

Paula, d, ms. behaving, thanks!

tanyetta, my hubby saw this post and greeted me afterwork by asking, "so you're going to be Oprah huh?" can't wait to read yours.

mere utterance, thanks and that's wonderful to hear about your interest in Africa. I'd love to hear about your Mandela exchange too. Will you blog about it?

Thnx Shaz! Canada is a mixing pot, isn't it?

Yemi, thanks, I'm interested in seeing your post too!

JayJayGhatt said...

Yemi, your 7 are EXTREMELY fascinating also. So....only Tanyetta and Traci left. The two T's.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I was surprised to see you hadn't been home in sooo long. I know your parents go back and just assumed you did too.
Enjoyed the post!

Anonymous said...

I admire your ambition. Keep up the good work. Don't forget about the little bloggers when you blow up,lol.

Brown English Muffin said...

I learnt so much from your answers...you're amazing!!

I have a lot of hair brained ideas myself some have come to life via other people of course. I'll have to make this a blog post next!!!

I'm also a firm believer that your astrological sign dictate your personality. It's too much of coincidence that so many people born in the same start sign act he same way.

I had no idea that there was such a thing as adult gymnastics. I did gymnastics in high school and I'd love to loose weight and try it again. Where did you go?

JayJayGhatt said...

wasaC2kv, of course, they'll always be room in my chauffer driven limousine for you, gurl.

NatashaC, yup. Dat darn war for 12 years scared me into going back and before then there was school, money a boat load of other excuses.

brown, thanks for the kind words. i took my class at the county park and planning commission. actually, fellow blogger, NatashaC talked me into it and it was fun and a lot harder than I expected.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting indeed. I want to go to Australia and Asia too (need to go to Africa first of course). I spoke fluent German as a child since my first school was in Germany, of course I lost it entirely once we returned to the states.

Anonymous said...

Hey you, thanks for tagging me. I had a blast. Tell me what you think!

JayJayGhatt said...

Great job Traci! that was a fun spin. you cracked me up on them monkey toes! hahaha!