Monday, April 23, 2007

The Chic Mommies' Night Out

photo Caption: My law partner, Nicole; My sister's BFF, Yvonne; a club bouncer; My sister, Adama and Me

Well, I finally got a break from juggling mommyhood, career and family life this weekend when I Amtraked it up to New York with my sister and her BFF, Yvonne, for a mommies getaway weekend (we're all moms)

Sometimes bad stuff happens for a reason. Because there was a mixup with our reservations at the Broadway Radisson Martinique Hotel and we had to wait 2 hours to check in, we were upgraded to a Penthouse Suite with all the bells and whistles that comes with being on the top floor Executive level of the hotel! Woo Hoo.

Saturday evening, we started with some horrible overrated and overpriced food at P.Diddy's restaurant Justin's in the trendy Chelsea neighborhood, and ended the night at two clubs.

The first was The Fat Black Pussy Cat in Chinatown. The upstairs lounge looked chill, but we headed downstairs to the dance club which was wayyy overcrowded. Drinks were overpriced. The DJ was mediocre. I ordered a round for the girls and got a vodka and Red Bull for myself. For a packed club, it was a shame that noone was dancing in time, really. While it was fun to watch for a brief moment, we couldn't really let go and cut the rug for lack of space. So after an hour, we cut out of there. The photo above is a pic of us with the bouncer at the door as we were going in.. the smiles were replaced with disappointed frowns on our way out.

We got in a cab and returned to Chelsea to an area that boasted about 5 trendy and apparently exclusive nightclubs. We started at Marquee where "hopefuls" were "blagging" (begging, pleading and lying) to get past the velvet rope and possibly rub elbows with A list celebrities. A large brother behind the black rope told us to head for club "Home Guest House" instead. Home's owner has said this about his elite club,

Not all hopefuls get past Home's velvet rope on the hottest nights, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. "There is a house list for friends o
f management," he said. "If you are not on the list, you must come early and look hot in order to get past the doormen."

When we walked up to the door, a flaming exquisitely outfitted door handler with pasty white skin and the plumpest collagen-filled lips I've ever seen on a man, looked at us "piercingly", scanned us up and down and announced "Four?", then told us to wait, even though noone was behind us and there was no line. Finally, after explaining to another pair of sharply dressed dudes (standing near another velvet rope) that a table reservation would require an investment of at least one $300.00 bottle of alcohol, he returned to us and let us through. We were worthy! Woo hoo!!

We didn't even have to pay. Here's a photo of the beautiful people inside the club:


The next day, after brunch we went shopping in Soho. It was my first time in Soho. I'm in looooove with the place and all the cute ecclectic shops, trendy designer stores, galleries and such. The Daffy's discount store had the best finds. We picked up some designer "originals" (if you know what I mean) on Canal Street. Because it was Spa Week, we were able to get awesome massages for half the prices they would normally cost.

I booked an appointment for my sister and Yvonne at my favorite spot, the Eden Day Spa in Chinatown. They have the best beach scrubs. They pay attention to every detail and inch. Went there for the first time last year at spa week. Of course, because we don't "move to time", we called too late to get an appointment for all four of us, so Nicole and I had to get an get acupressure massage treatment at a D-rated spot up the street. boooooo!

Overall though, it was a fun fun weekend that ended on a sour note when we slept past our train stop and then had to take a very expensive cab from DC back to Maryland at 1:37 in the morning. Darn that conductor for not waking us up!

Here we are in Fab and Glam mode, posing on the marble stairs of our hotel:


Caption: Adama, me and Yvonne

More frivolous conspicuous posing for no reason! Hahahaha!












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see all these pics when I read your post last night.

Nice photos.

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Those mommy night out's are just what we ladies deserve!! Hope you had a nice time.

JayJayGhatt said...

thanks, girls. Natasha C, i was having having photo "upload issues" when you prolly saw the post. it was in its early developmental stage.

id rather be, we should all get out AT LEAST once a month! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure we're not related? I strongly believe in two things; being fabulous and spending some quality time (shopping, spa treatments, etc) without the kids and the hubby

Anonymous said...

What fun! You are looking so fab and skinny Momma :)

JayJayGhatt said...

Thanks Yo. We had lots of fun.

Re: looking skinny,
I had lost weight for Trinidad carnival in February, came back and fasted and ate Vegan for Lent and then when that was over, I recently developed killer acid reflux disease. Always had the disease, it just got worse recently and so much so that I get nauseous(and vomit), and I can't eat my usual junk food that much anymore cause I get sick.

Thank God, I got me a prescription for Aciphex yesterday, to ease these symptoms and help me get more normal again.