Yup. It's confirmed. I didn't know I had this model, but I have definitely got my hands on the latest, most recently updated and fully loaded version of a high tech child. Caleb is Toddler Vista.
It started this weekend when I went to interrupt his computer game to check my Outlook account and he asks me if I was "checking my email." Wow, really, boy?"
I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same kid who knows that a DVD "loads" but a CD-ROM "boots up".
So he's only four and supposedly is just learning to read, but give that boy a Tivo remote control and he is navigating multiple layers of screens and written guides to find the saved episode of TLC's kid show Todd.
Same thing with the On Demand remote. When his favorite show isn't on Tivo, he goes, "Let's check to see if it is 'On Demand'" and then he'd proceed to pushing and scrolling buttons until he finds his favorite Noggin program about that angst-filled turtle, "Franklin".
Don't get me talking about his computer savvy. Dave came home the other day to discover the child had "Googled" his name. Not just his first name either? How he got to the Google screen and knew to type in his name and know to get more definite search results is to be more specific, beats the heck out of me?
Whenever we take photos of children as young as one these days, they run to you to check out the digital image of themselves on the LCD screen? I remember when we were kids, we'd take a photo and wouldn't see an actual photograph for months, if not years. (I guess the axiom is that lazy people like me never bother to print out photos either and would instead upload and store them on computer drives or online photo storage sites for months and years, but I digress.)
And this weekend, my niece was pretending to take a photo of her mom, on her toy cell phone! How about that for generation 5.0? We've run out of letters right?
Now ,what finally made me realize that kids these days are on another stratosphere, technology- wise, is when my husband discovered that Caleb was using the "q" and "w" key to accelerate the digital cars racing on his hot heels car game. The funny thing, the instructions to do that were written, not oral or vocal.
Sooooo... either he's learned to decode java script, or is miraculously in tune to on screen digital instructions...OR....
we have Mensah candidate on our hands!!!
LOL!! hahaha
1 comment:
That's funny. I had to take turn my PC off at the power supply because my two-year old would turn it on and start typing. He's also called 911 and likes to get in the car to pretend he's driving.
Weird how they pick up on stuff. Great post.
Post a Comment