Friday, April 20, 2007

Patience in a Pill

I wish someone would invent a serum of patience that manic moms can digest in pill form or get injected in quarterly intervals like Depo-Provera or can slap on like a smoker's patch.

Just came back from a 5 hour errand run with the boys, including a 3 hour mall trek. Within 30 minutes, I was quickly reminded why it has been 3 months since I had been so dumb to do this.

In addition to the time I spent sampling the various new scents at Bath and Body works, having my toes dried after my pedicure (my nail technician spotted me in the food court and convinced me to come in. I couldn't resist), picking up a fly pair of Seven jeans at Up Against the Wall, eating dinner there and going to Radio shack, the rest of the time passed with

  • 12 minutes of sporadic temper tantrums
  • 27 minutes of wining from Caleb for a toy car
  • 18 minutes of me scorning and finger wagging
  • 13 minutes of me taking breakable items out of Jarrods hands
  • 5 minutes of ear-piercing shrieks from Jarrod
  • 13 minutes of chasing two kids around racks of clothing
  • 4 minutes of embarrassed half smiles flashed towards head-shaking bystanders
  • 2 minutes of me threatening to pluck Caleb on the back of his hand

because no one has yet invented this "patience" concoction, I drink.

love, me

*kids in bed. mildly sedated. glass of Merlot in hand*

8 comments:

Miss Snarky Pants said...

I don't know JJ.....

I'd gladly trade in the every other day talk about boys AND sex for a few temper tantrums and god only knows I'd settle for some ear piercing shrieks and never ending whining over the recurring debate with BOTH of my daughters (ages 16 & 17) who are at stages in their lives where they expect me to be "more of a friend" and "less of a mommy" --- UM.....NOT (please take a sip for them in the name of wishful thinking)!!.

I'll concur with you on the finger wagging though as it actually still works on my six year old lol.

Love your blog!!

P.S. If you can find anybody to market that idea (patience in a pill) let a sista know....I could use a few cases :-)!!!

Anonymous said...

Patience in a pill, that's a cute one, and I definitely need one too. My seven year old constantly asks me questions I don't have the answers to. Like when is my stomach going to return back to its normal size? And my 13 year old insists on arguing with the 7 year old over dumb stuff.

Trish Ess said...

LOL Wanna know one of my secrets? My boy is 17 now, and I still have all of my hair, I'm not an alcoholic (recovering or otherwise) and neither one of us was traumatized.

He had tantrums when we were out - and I'd calmly sit back and watch him.. and give him tips (it might work more if you kick your legs harder.. nah.. that's not working.. try screaming a bit louder.. mmm..no. That's not working either...)

But the reason we're both still sane.. bribery. Yep. Oh, yeah. I strongly believe in it. See, we'd start out the day, and I'd get something ready that he really liked. Something that could be divided up. Like a chocolate bar with squares you can break off, or a couple of dollars worth of dimes or quarters. And I'd show it to him before we left the house. "See this? It's for us to share.. and the more you act up, the more I get.. but the more you behave, the more you get." And the first time he acted up, I'd break off a piece of chocolate - or take a dime or whatever.. and I'd make it clear to him that it was now mine. I'd eat the chocolate or put the dime in my purse. He'd start to yell.. and I'd act like I was going to take another piece away.. and he'd calm right down. The next time he acted up, I'd do the same thing. Eventually, he walked away with the entire chocolate bar or all the money.. and I walked away with my sanity. LOL

Trish Ess said...

PS - Just so's ya know - You got some linky love at my place. :)

Natasha C said...

Loved that. I empathize. But I can't remember the last time I dealt w/ a tantrum, it must be at least 2 years (when Khephren was 2 an Kobie a baby).

At home they get away w/ a lot. But when we're in public they're fairly well behaved. I threaten. Threaten they will NOT go to a b'day party, threaten they will not get a snack, threten they will NOT get a story that night. And it works.

And I've been lucky that they never 'misbehave' at the same time. I think they feel sorry for me and don't want to push me over the edge.

You have a lot of courage doing all that w/ them, I would have never found myself in B&BW or getting a pedi :) w/ 2 active boys in tow.

Hope the drink was delish!!

JayJayGhatt said...

id rather be in tnt, people with girls keep telling me this same thing you say. i still want my ballet and pigtail moments. waaaaaaaa!!! luv you for visiting my blog. i will keep my eyes open for new FDA pronouncements, but i'm not holding my breath, but i will be holding this bottle of Carib just in case. hahahaha!

aw, Traci, that seven year old is quite a gem, eh? aww. cute (*sarcastic smirk*). Thirteen year old? Thank God I'm not you right now. (smile)

Trish, bribery is indeed in my bag of tricks. i still feel guilty bout having to resort to it. Thanks for the linky love and extra traffic! woo hoo. i'm quasi famous! hahahaha!

natasha c, well you know how i feel about your well disciplined children and how I envy your order.
but threats, yup, i gotta add them to the repertoire.

re: my bravery, i hadn't shopped for myself in a while and was determined to do it, albeit now with some regrets. yes, the wine was delish tho i woke up with a tummy ache! boo.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, I am not alone! My 19-month-old has been driving me to drink. Thanks to my husband, who loves to entertain, we have an extensive bar so I have my choice of poison. Added bonus - puts me right to sleep :-)

JayJayGhatt said...

Cheers! Rah! LOL!!