Saturday, April 28, 2007

Who says you can't learn from Television?



I was getting the kids ready to go to Maryland day and had the Baby Einstein "Baby Wordsworth" DVD on and was surprised to see that Jarrod knew all the words AND the sign language signs to every word shown on that DVD!!! Amazing!

You know, I shouldn't be surprised, when Caleb was a baby, I used to let him watch Sesame Street in the morning everyday as we prepared to go to grandma's, I later discovered that he had learned all the letters of the alphabet and could count to 20 before he turned 3! I know he learned things from Sesame Street that I, nor his dad, taught him.

Now we won't go overboard, but I must admit I am often tempted to let the TV babysit the kids for me, especially when I have loads of work and would LOVE LOVE to have the distraction void filled with TV. Good thing wiser heads have prevailed and I can proudly boast that the boys watch no commercial television (though Caleb is getting exposed to video commercials (darn technology) that are inserted on the online game sites). However, while I acknowledge all the damage overexposure to TV can do to kids, I dare say there is indeed some positive learning that can come from an extra dose (whether intentional or not) of television (or at least a selected video or DVD).

Before my good friend, NatashaC introduced us to Noggin (pre-school on TV) cable channel, the boys had only watched the educational-light Disney Channel. (though I notice with the new e Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show that Disney is making an effort to other more educational programming out there)

Disney's wisest move though may have been purchasing the Baby Einstein company from the mom entrepreneur who started the series. I try to give at least one Einstein gift to all new mothers I know who may not be aware of this wonderful video learning tool.

Someone who might have seen Jarrod bust a WWF kamakazi move or marvel at Caleb reciting the words to "Roll With it Bounce With it" might call me a liar. But in our defense, I cannot control the 24 hour exposure to BET and all craziness on the television at my mom's house where the boys spend a good portion of their day some weeks.

Speaking of children making liars out of their parents, I remember one particular incident when we hosted a large play group with a couple of moms at my house. There was this one mom who was going on and on how she would not let her child watch television especially BET, because it was laden with all those raunchy mysogenstic videos. Just then, an older brother of one of the kids at the play date popped into the kitchen where we had gathered and exclaimed, "Auntie Mariama! Guess what? Kadija (this woman's daughter) is in the living room "dropping it like it's hot!" Doh!

4 comments:

*Tanyetta* said...

stopping by to say hello.

love your blog, humor and especially the moms night out. it looked like so much fun!

JayJayGhatt said...

Thanks, tanyetta! I love your blog too as I can relate to all the madness and cute lovable fun that comes with raising a boy, well boys in my book. The mom's night out was tres fun! I'm committed to make it a regular event from now on...maybe not as expensive, like i won't be traveling to NY every month, but regular nonetheless.

Wifey/Mom/Fashionista/Poet said...

I too fell in love with the Baby Einstein video series for my children and they love reading the Baby Einstein books. I also use to play classical music for them at night, mostly Mozart, I think I will have to start that up again, as my children aren't falling asleep until about 3 hours after I have officially out them to bed and it's starting to seriously aggravate me, lol. Thanks for reminding me about this, lol! Great blog!

JayJayGhatt said...

No problem. Glad to be of service reminding you of baby Einstein, fashionmom.

I looooove Classical music and Mozart and Mendelssohn are my favorite!!

Caleb will be playing me symphonies pretty soon as i plan to enroll him in Piano this fall and in steelpan next fall.