Saturday, April 28, 2007

from the desk of mom...



memorandum

to: the Mischiefmakers
from: mom
re: reminders
date: Saturday, April 28

Caleb

When I'm doing my pilates and yoga postures while watching my favorite videos on VH1Soul in the basement, please be mindful not to interrupt me demanding I put on your favorite show. I was there first. and um, sitting on my ankles, mocking my "warrior" stance and getting in my way is a naughty way to annoy me into getting your way.

Same goes for the computer. You better stop giving me time limits on MY computer cause you are in a rush to get back to your computer game. Telling me "you better not take a long time" is a no no. I think you've forgotten that I am the boss in this here house!

I know we laughed at the time, but I don't think daddy appreciated you telling him to go on ahead and leave me behind when we told you we would be leaving you at grandma's for a while so your daddy and I could go on a dinner date. I think saying, "Mommy, you stay with me. Daddy, you can go." might have hurt his feelings a little. Let's cut the fellah some slack, kay?

Hey Jarrod,

I hope our plans to get you into the NFL work out.

I'm going to need a lot of money to pay for all those eardrums that burst everytime you let go an ear piercing shrieking in public places. You know, child, daddy and I can't keep avoiding the terror-filled glances that dart our way when you belt out the way you do . Eventually, we're gonna get a medical bill in the mail. Take it easy, will ya? Honestly, I think I'm going to haul you to your auntie's house for a week for some training. After all, it's her daughter that taught you how to scream so. It's just not right. Not right at all.

On a positive note, we were so happy to see you sitting there alone among those total strangers thoroughly enjoying the fistulated cow presentation at Maryland Day. They sure did get a kick of hearing you "mooooo" back everytime you heard the cow moo.

You and your brother seemed to enjoy the cows, sheep, pigs, and horses too, visiting all the various exhibits, playing skeet ball and basketball, watching the dance presentations and frolicking in the moon bounce. Your brother was a whiz at miniature golf putting. We may have to enroll him in golf class after all.

----end notation here-----------

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gosh... this could soooo me my kids!!!! :)

Ummm, actually the "beat him, beat him!" too. lol.

JayJayGhatt said...

they're all cut from the same cloth, these kids.

re:beat him, i was thinking, hey, don't go blurting that out in public, people will think we actually beat you guys! they do get the "gentle tap" on the bottom. the phrase "gentle tap" is reference to a dad on one of those Super Nanny shows. It was his response to the nanny telling him not to use corporal punishment.

he was like, um, i won't beat them, but i will use the "gentle tap" LOL! hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

haha re the 'gentle tap', yeah, well, I have kept guns and shooting toys and shows completely offlimits to them, not even mentioning it or anything... then guess what??!?! somehow they know! they play with their hands "psswhew, psswhew!" at each other! how???? argh!

JayJayGhatt said...

yup. you just can't insulate children no matter how hard you try!

i thought i had a totally self-loving kid who appreciated his brownness, until I did the Clark Doll study (you know from the famous Brown v. Board of Education case) and Caleb failed miserably...even preferring the butt ugly freckled head game piece (er I used the kids in the chutes and ladders game pieces instead of dolls, since there are no dolls in this all boy household)

i thought we were raising a pretty conscious kid who accepted his brownness...NOT! a friend of mine said it will change over time if I work with him. I hope!