At our first meeting of Kids Anonymous, Caleb let it out to me..
[he in the back seat of the truck] tells me, "Mom, I'm going to tell Daddy, he can't be mean to me. I'm going to say, 'Daddy, we need to talk.'....and then and then, I'm going to say, "Daddy, don't be mean to me anymore' ...what do you think of dat, mommy?"
Me: Caleb, that's good baby. We roll up to Dave's car. He had just dropped in our playground visit, and we had to take separate cars home. I roll the window down. "Um, go ahead, Caleb"
Caleb stutters..."um..Daaa.daddy. [in a quiet quiet voice]...please don't be..be..mean to me anymore, kay?"
Dave: "what dat boy say?"
See what happens when you are the lone disciplinarian who forces the boy to go to bed early so he isn't cranky in the morning and enforces good eating habits. You run the risk of having child protection services come after you with one false overdramatize report from your kid.
We drive on...
Caleb: "Mommy, when is Valentine's Day and Easter, tomorrow?"
Poor child, missed Valentine's day while we were in Trinidad. He couldn't exchange his cards with his classmates. Therapy continues as he learns to accept the fact that he totally missed this holiday. He doesn't want to let it go..He needs "clooooossssuuure".
Now, we're going to have to work on his near obsessive attraction to computer games. He's an addict. A computer game addict. It was cute at first, but now, it's darn near troubling. We're concerned. Gonna do an intervention this weekend.
I wonder if I can make Dave's health insurance pay me for these counseling services...tee hee......
2 comments:
oh, the little 'talk' made me laugh! that could sooooo be my eldest, 4, I could imagine him saying the EXACT same thing!! cute.
yup, shaz. they say the most jaw dropping surprisingly "mature" things. i don't think i was that sharp when i was that age.
Post a Comment