Saturday, April 7, 2007

The Playground Nazis

Who are the playground Nazis?

Dave. Wearing the uniform of government workers. Khaki pants. Blue collared shirt. Generic conformist yellow tie.

Me. Dark grey pencil skirt. Powder blue twin set. Half inch calf boots, balancing my weight on the wood chipped grounds.

Together, we holler, "Hey, one at a time kids!" "No, pushing!" "You, wait your turn!" " Slow Down!" "Junior, yeah you, where's your mom?"

Ever so often, we flash evil glares at the young non-Buppie parents, sitting on the park bench too engrossed in their private conversations to mind their rambunctious, rude and undisciplined offsprings terrorizing the playground.

We don't want to be "playground nazis" and would love to just chill, but that would mean allowing these tiny terrors to shove our 2year old off a 7 foot slide or walk up the slide in the path of other kids attempting to slide down.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Playground nazi is not a role I enjoy but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

JayJayGhatt said...

don't you know it, Yo?

Anonymous said...

I am SO the same way! We don't have a playground that we frequent but whenever we go to the indoor playpark at Mario's Pizzeria (Trinidad) I am the PO-LICE.
"Hey, aren't you too big to be in there? There's a height limit." (I say to these big hardback TEENAGERS who squeeze into the playpark for kicks.
"Hey put those balls back in the ball pit!"
"Hey the slide in one-way as in DOWN!"
"No shoes allowed in there, buddy!"

JayJayGhatt said...

yup 'rah, sometimes "it takes a village".

too bad they don't give out a tribal spear to help us cut some tail when we have to play chief for the day, huh?

Anonymous said...

There have been times when I was tire of hearing my own voice. Mosty spring/summer.