Monday, April 16, 2007

discipline...according to another mommy...

I found this "confession" about discipline tactics written by another mommy from another online community i'm apart of hilarious! She's brave.

To Caleb and Jarrod: You see how bad you coulda had it???

Enjoy!


How are you at threats? I think my parenting style could be summed up as "mothering by threat." I feel like my mind is always racing for some threat I will be willing to follow up on. It might start with, "if you don't get upstairs by the time I turn the water on I'm going to throw away your flute." Then when they don't want to get out of the tub it's, "if you don't stand up on your own by the time I count to 3 I'm going to grab you out myself." Then, "if you aren't sitting on the bed for stories by the time I finish cleaning up the bathroom I'm going to start reading by myself and you will miss your stories." Honestly, now that I type it all out I truly think that most of my interactions with them involve threats. Yelling also works pretty well, but my kids are fairly wimpy and hate it when I yell. To the point where now I don't really have to yell; I just say (after asking several times), "are you planning to wait until I start yelling?" and then they do whatever I'm asking them to do.

OK, so I'm a witch but I'm very efficient. BTW, I do follow through on all of my threats. I have thrown books in the trash can, toys out the window of a moving car, and had Brendan sit at the table for an hour by himself while Kiera and I watched a movie in the family room (this was while he was refusing to eat the 1 green bean I make him eat every night. Well, not always a green bean.). Follow-through is definitely key.

No comments: