
Cboy set me up big time. Well really, his afterschool provider did by telling my husband that Cboy is a loner and plays by himself most of the time.
I asked Cboy why this was so and he said because he is not coordinated and doesn't know how to play sports well that the other kids don't want to play with him.
A while ago, during a teacher conference, the teacher told me that all the girls like Cboy and several times when I came to pick him up from aftercare, I noticed that indeed he played often with the girls. hmmm
Well, my heart literally sank when I heard him say he doesn't have male playmates. I immediately signed him up for the town boys and girls club soccer team and told him, well we're gonna get you playing more and you'll get better. I mistakenly let it slip that if and when we move, he'll get a chance to show the boys at his new school his skills and they'll be wowed!
Bad move on my part! Cboy sank into a mini child depression and started acting out. I got an email from his teacher complaining about his behavior, telling me that Cboy was not paying attention, unfocused and defiant at times.
I replied that we threatened to take away one of his perks if he doesn't turn his act around and dug into why he was misbehaving. "I don't know. I just got carried away?" he replied. hmmm
Well, yesterday the teacher calls me to say she had a brief talk with Cboy after my email and Cboy told her he was acting out because he was sad cause he had to go to another school next year and didn't want to leave his friends! Doh! She also explained that he had plenty friends and often played with boys and girls everyday!! That little... set me up for some sympathy? I don't know what was up with his story.
In any event, the boy is going to that other school for summer camp this year, but I never confirmed he'd be at another school as we don't know what our plans are for moving as of yet. He knows we've been looking to upgrade for a while now, but that plan has been stalled for various reasons indefinitely.
I'm thinking Cboy was just bored and had a bout of excessive playfulness and silliness maybe cause of a spike in blood sugar? who knows. But I used to rely on him giving me the down low and being honest now I think I have to just watch what I tell him and the stuff I feed him. We have to be careful what we say around him because he is always listening and picking up stuff.
The boy is sophisticated and growing up and we can't rely on our old ways any longer.
4 comments:
I still am surprised at just how similar our eldest children are in personality. I can see EBoy having the same response (he can certainly take brooding and moody to a new level when he feels like it). It's amazing how well they remember when you say things like that yet you have to remind them of other little things each and every day. Glad you figured it out and hopefully he'll have a blast with his summer program.
Once my kids turned about 6, they start remembering everything and i have to watch what I say around them. They take everything literal and don't see the grey area. *lol* Cboy got my sympathy vote:) Luckily kids adapt, pretty well, after a while. Good idea to get him involved in extra sports.
LOL...this story made me smile! Funny CBOY!
P.S. My friend wrote these kids books: http://www.baloneybooks.com/home.html
Post a Comment