Wednesday, December 15, 2010

11 Fit Body Types NOT often shown in Fitness Magazines


Audrina Patridge was listed among the top fittest Celebrities of 2010 by FITNESS magazine.

I am having one of those Facebook "back and forths" with a dear friend from college over my being upset by what I see is a monolithic portrayal of "fitness" in magazines. 

Really, it all started after I checked out Fitness magazine's slideshow of its pick for Best Celebrity bodies of 2010. Besides the fact that there were not that many celebrities of color on the list, and only one African American included, I  also felt there was an overwhelming inclusion of one type of fit body type - the type that is most often shown in fitness and fashion magazines that is more on the thinnish or slender build type.  No curves. No strong shoulders. No fit legs. Just straight up and down. 

My friend took issue to me mentioning that size 6 is not average but is considered the ideal. He went in on me, pointing all the statistics about obesity in America, and in particular among African Americans who also have high rates of hypertension, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease all related to their being overweight. I can't argue with the stats, but that was not my issue or concern with the Fitness magazine's pick. He called me oversensitive and said I was hating on those selected.

But to me, pointing to the fact that there is one standard of fitness shown often by no means constitute me "hating" on the people picked to be in the slide presentation, whatsoever. 

Rather, I disliked the magazines selection to exclude different variations of fitness that exist among regular people and celebrities. I have no issue with those in the slide presentation and in fact like many of them.

But my point is there is room for those in the list and others with other body types too. At no time did I say it was okay to include out of shape obese women in the fit list. Wanting variation of fitness doesn't mean I am promoting a "FAT" standard. 

I just think there is a wide range between size 6 and what some consider unhealthy that could've been picked. That is all.

To me, monolithic portrayals are not only damaging to young women's self esteem, they also create the type of mentality like that New York Times critic who pointed in his review that a thinnish ballerina, Jennifer Ringer, "looked as if she'd eaten one sugar plum too many."  

My friend defended the critic, which to me, is to ignore the fact that the critic's mentality is part of a brainwashed public's perception that stick thin is ideal, at least for a ballerina anyway. 

You just can't ignore the cumulative impact of monolithic media images have on society as a whole. My concern is young girls though.

I also had to remind him that once upon a time, magazines did not feature girls of color AT ALL. The effect was to create a generation of brown, black and olive skinned girls to want to have all the features of their blonde haired blue eyed friends. They wanted to chemically straighten their hair, dye their hair lighter shades, bleach their skin, wear contact lenses because, after all, that is the only type that was worthy enough to be featured in fashion magazines. 

In sum, to illustrate my point, I promised to take some time to find images of the varying fit body types that are rarely and some times not ever shown in fitness magazines or listed among the fittest.

Check out the images I found below conducting a simple 15 minute Google Search. So the point again being, if they tried as a Fitness magazine to incorporate different variations of fitness, they could EASILY!

Okay, enough of my rant, check out these images below of body types that fall outside the Ideal by American standards.

Bodybuilders have thick thighs.


Gymnasts have broad strong shoulders


Beyonce's nice abs. Curvy hips.
Kim K's assets are all the rage.



Square frames. Toned.



Round derriere of a world class Tennis champ, Serena Williams



Weightlifters strong arms and thick muscular thighs.


Strong swimmers' shoulders




Narrow hips. Strong arms. Baby in tow.



Muscular Frame. Beach Vollyball players



Gymnast Strong muscular legs

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I will never have the "thin" frame, I am very curvy, but I was searching for realistic bodies that are fit, strong, and attractive. I appreciated your comment that only one type of body makes it into the magazines, it's so true. Thank goodness for the internet!

Anonymous said...

<3 Love the inspiration

Anonymous said...

Thank u for this. I'm a 34 year old Caucasian w a thicker athletic body and its refreshing to read this. Men are often quick to judge

Anonymous said...

Most people (even women themselves) forget to realize how we both be strong AND beautiful. This is a shot of that reminder. Thanks!

JayJayGhatt said...

You're welcome guys! so glad you bumped into this article and thank you for taking the time to comment!

I did this post in 2011 and have plum forgotten about it being out here in the Interwebs!

All the ridiculous extraordinary focus today and in recent years over whether or not Tennis Champ Serena Williams has an ideal body or looks feminine enough got me thinking about this post again.

It's related and reflects what happens when the ideal "fit girl" standard fitness magazine and mainstream media pump into our heads and psyche --- people don't know what to do with or how to handle a beautiful, fit, athletic champ being heralded widely.

Unknown said...

Absolutely loved your points and pics - there's room for everybody and you hit the nail on the head w/ the example of the ny times critic. We don't need our young girls starving themselves trying to reach an (oftentimes photoshopped) ideal. Bravo Jeneba!

Katy K said...

Love. Thanks for posting

Anonymous said...

I agree so much! I'm 5'3 and I weigh 160lbs. Overweight by many standards but I'm not. I work out regularly and have a very strong body. My thighs are thick and muscular(as are all the woman in my family). My shoulders are very strong and my arms look closer to the Olympic swimmer's. Also, I know that tanned skin shows muscle definition better but I'm of Irish ancestry. I don't like spray tan. I think young girls everywhere can benefit from seeing variation in fitness magazines. Health is the standard that should be promoted and there are many very fit women that are not straight figured. I love your selection of pictures. I found them inspiring.

JayJayGhatt said...

Awesome! I'm glad they could be inspiring to you. I can relate to your body types as I too am and have always been heavier than I look because of denser muscle. Health is a standard that should be promoted other than one type of body type.

Thanks for commenting!

Bella said...

This is just wonderful Jeneba! This is going to be a [positive and congratulatory] rant of my own, but i want to say good on you for a) not succumbing your own opinion to the unhealthy societal ideal fit female body shape of thin or very slender, sticking to your own healthy attitude and appreciating the beautiful diversity of shapes that the female body can be, b) asserting your own healthy opinion even in spite of what sounds like a very tenacious male friend who has been swayed to believe along with many others that thin and slim is the only "healthy" and fit body type and c) doing your research and writing a blog to share with others! I will be sharing this with my friends to spread the positive image of female health that you're advocating here :)
Cheers! Bella

Anonymous said...

I really liked this post too. Strong fit healthy bodies are beautiful

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Thank you so much for this post! I have a natural curvy body and have always had curves even when I was a size 3 and 115 lbs in high school. I am 5'3". At the time I was obsessed with working out and couldn't figure out why I still didn't look like other fit girls in the media and magazines. At some point I became anorexic. I don't know when or how it happened but I know now that no matter how thin I am my body will never look straight like anyone else's. I am 150 lbs now but do not look it. People usually think I way 130.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm kind of rectangular & athletic/strong but my 2 daughters are pear shaped (endo morphs). Working out & being healthy is easy for me but tough for them, so I was looking for a way to show them that all healthy bodies are beautiful & here it is! I see my girls as Beyoncé bodies (while I definitely have more of a swimmers bod)- but they've been brainwashed by media & advertising so I'm going to start promoting healthy pear shaped women at home - celebrating their gorgeous curves so they are proud of them. Beyoncé posters everywhere!!!

JayJayGhatt said...

Thanks again for commenting. I like to check in here once in a while and am happy to see this post is being a source of encouragement for girls and young women all around.

I do wish soon more diverse body types will be celebrated. It shouldn't matter so much but the fact that anorexia, bulimia and body dysmorphia is out there wreaking havoc and taking lives, it does still matter.

Thanks for sharing this post as well.

Olga said...

Hey, men are all about size, didn't you know that already? :)