Friday, December 31, 2010

My little Babushka, Love-Muffin & Divette GG turns 3 today! (Photos)

GG has had a great year. In addition to growing taller like a weed, getting into more girly things this past summer, she also expanded her vocabulary exponentially and has mastered lots of cute sayings, quirks and common colloquialism. I am always amazed at how advanced her verbal skills are compared to her brothers when they were her age. I guess what they say is true about girls being more vocal than boys.

Beyond that, she changed classes from winter to summer and got to be around more girls. I believe that contributed to her being more into princess things, playing dress up and having an interest in dolls. Before that, she was content climbing trees, racing her brothers down the driveway and chasing them around the house. She is loving being around her brothers more now that they all started attending the same school this past fall. She's had adjustment issues here and there. She is still quite the spoiled mama's girl, but overall, I'm very happy with her school, teachers and progress. 

GG is also VERY POPULAR and is known in the entire school for some reason. When I go to pick her up and drop her off, I swear various kids, teachers and random administrators say "hi GG!" I asked her brothers how come she is so well known and they say it's because she is soo darn cute! What great brothers she has!! They don't even mind when she bosses them around and pretend to be in charge. LOL!

She had a blast at Disney World where we went for our family summer vacation and was a little entertainer to her dad's cousins who came down from Canada for the trip. I forgot to mention that she was a wonderful travel companion when we went to Trinidad together earlier in the year...Here...check out a few pics of her second to 3rd year  below.

Starting early being a Blackberry fiend like mom, eh GG?

GG in Trinidad this February

Racing the lawnmower down the driveway was a fun activity

She finally got into dolls and dresses this year after being a perpetual tomboy,
mocking her brothers for her first 2 years of life...
She was too cool for school rocking the shades and the bunny ears for Easter...

Having a girl to dress up has been fun....

Every once in a while before dropping her off to school this year, I'd have an impromptu mom photo shoot
one of my "shoots" lol

Mother's Day - went to Firefly and made our own gingerbread men for dessert. 

On our way to get one of our favorite summer time treats: Soft custard from Rita's

Heading back to school after spring break

Summer time at Rohoboth  Beach, Delaware

Thirsty? Hanging out this summer at her brother's soccer practice.  
At the airport on the way home from Disney World this August, rocking her House of Dereon ruffle dress

GG is a natural at gymnastics...

She definitely has the possum thing down pack anyway....

Ice popsicles at the Greenbelt Labor Day Festival

She carried her favorite doll Rasberry to cheer on her brothers while they played soccer
She loved to have fun in my office. Would spend time perched on top of my head, literally, while I worked

First day of school pic...looking so innocent. She did well at first...
She was an Arawak Indian for Halloween this year
Christmas time...what a fun Year! Happy Birthday pumpkin!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute natural hair...please stay away from fake hair or extension braids b/c she will want what she doesn't have. I recall your past post about keeping her hair natural even if its a fro. Young black girls should not be looking like teenage girls with the fake braids. Just my two cents. Becareful what you reap. Your daughter is beautiful with her natural hair. Just work it girl! Don't try to get her to look like another girl. Braids on her tender scalp will pull and break her hair even more. Good luck!

JayJayGhatt said...

Thanks for the concern. Obviously, you are one of my FACEBOOK "Friends" who must have seen a post of GG in braids.

What's wrong with extensions? I wear extensions in my hair and it is short? I wear it long? I wear it curly. I wear it kinky. I wear it straight. It is versatile and I LOVE It. So you seem to dislike "fake hair" or "extentions". Don't wear it your hair or put in YOUR daughter's hair, if you have one.

Who are you to judge? Why can't we all just "do" us and let the rest flow?

Regarding GG "wanting what she doesn't have. The texture of extensions in her hair is KINKY. She has that already. Also, why are you assuming my little girl will NEVER HAVE LONG HAIR? Do you think all kinky hair black girls will always have short kinky hair?

I GOT THIS! African women put braids in their girls hair to grow it and just as how my hair grows, hers will too with it and I am struggling every day and week to do her hair. Unless and until you are willing to come to my home each week to wash, condition, massage, grease and braid her hair for me, you can keep your comments and concern to yourself.

She is prideful and I am well aware of what I went through to make sure that GG maintains pride of her natural hair. She loves her hair short. She loves her afro. She loves the braids. She loves it in pony tails. GG loves to play dress up and do different things.

I think I AM MORE THAN CAPABLE to INSTILL AFRICAN PRIDE in my daughter. MANY African little girls wear braids to help their hair grow. And DON'T YOU THINK if it is damaging her hair I would stop?

Please give me more credit since it appears that you know ME. And if you know ME, you know that I would NEVER do anything to my children to hurt them or damage any part of them, including damaging their hair.

I appreciate you taking the time to tell me ANONYMOUSLY what you don't have the courage to tell me to my face.

Unknown said...

Oh JG, i'm absolutely sorry to have come across rude, mean-spirited and judgemental. That was certainly not my intention. I was told you were upset with my post and hence, here I am re-reading what I wrote and of course your reply. I am a friend of a friend of yours. I was introduced to your pregnancy blog a few months ago and I love it!! I am expecting and have really found some helpful, fun, cool and interesting things there. I frequently will jump over to your kids blog. From your work and blog writing I know you
are a genuine person and a phenomenol mother! I was having a pleasant conversation with the friend who saw pictures of your daughters hair and my knee jerk reaction was what I wrote. And btw...the friend was commenting how cute the pictures were. Your daughter is cute and you have a beautiful family!!
You seem firm in your beliefs and ethicity and I'm sure your children will be just as strong! I am a strong advocate of natural hair and will not impose my views on you or others for that matter. I can tell you what has worked on my girls. I will send you pics of their hair if you like. I don't want to impose though. Its definately alot of work having girls! I'm so sorry again, please find it in your heart to forgive me.

Sharon