Saturday, February 21, 2009

Stuff for Kids to Do in the Winter in Baltimore-Washington Area

Check out

Kids Street News Monthly List of Events

The Washington Post Kid-Friendly Going Out Guide

Washington Family Magazine Places to Go/ Things to Do - this is great especially the calendar feature!

Washington Parent's Guide a great cluster of resources for arts, parties, exhibits etc

Washington Post Things/Places to See/Do List

PG Parks Things to Do in Prince George's County -- this county often left out of Washington, Post and Washington Parent magazines so thank Goodness for PG Parks and Rec

Today, we will go Ice Skating at the Sculpture Garden at the Smithsonian (I think. It closes at 9pm) and/or Go Kart Racing and/or to Michael's to pick out arts and crafts projects to do during the week after school after homework and before dinner and bedtime.

Im fixing to set up the Spring Schedules but cannot and have not done so because I would definitely need the support of Hubby on this one. I vividly recall past instances of me complaining about shuttling the kids to activities and he replying to me, "you signed them up for that, so you take them!" I am not one to go down that path again. Hence, none of the kids have been involved in any structured formal activity since last fall. Besides tightening our belt because many of these things cost mucho dinero, I am not interested in getting burned out again.

We're hoping to start the boys in Soccer, Continue CBoy's Piano, Keep Jboy in Kindermusik and add a weekly Gymnastics and Library trip.

For GG, I think I'm going to try and enroll her in Gymboree and/or Kindermusik for babies, Weekly Library and Weekly Music.

In the summer, we'll try and add swimming to each of their schedules. I think I am hyperventilating at the idea.

I didn't think there was such thing as a Supermom or Dad, but last week I spoke with and witnessed two friends (my buddy Natasha) and a dad who carts his three boys to music lessons, chess practice and enrolls them in robotics camps that are more than an hour away from his home. They run a tight ship and are committed to exposing their kids to wonderful experiences and stimulating them all the time. I was impressed (as always) at how organized and orderly and functional they seem to keep their home operations.

Mine, at the moment, is haphazard, unorganized, un coordinated and all the way stressful.

I think the cure will be a very good nanny and a personal assistant. It would be ideal if I could get both in one person, but why transfer my burdened life onto another, I think I need to spread the love and stress around! Ha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice list. And we are sitting out of most athletic activities until the boys specifically request them. Since we are so active in our church that sucks up a large portion of our time, and at this age we've decided building their foundation there is more crucial than burning ourselves out going everywhere else.

This summer I'm looking to do swimming lessons for both and EBoy requested to run track (there is a local track league) so I'm going to see if I can do those without going too crazy.