Friday, September 3, 2010

President's Girls Don't Watch TV during the Week

Woo hoo!!

It was great to hear President Obama say that he and Michelle do not permit their girls to watch TV during the week. We have forbidden television watching and video games playing during the school week in our household too for at least 2 years now. It is challenging to find things for them to do after homework, but we have. They go outside. They play games and cards. They play with each other and with their toys. They read!

We had to do it because they were becoming too addicted to the television and only wanted to be attached to the television and couldn't concentrate on anything else.

Since we've instilled the rule, I've had to force myself to get off the computer when they come home. I've told my clients that I cannot work, participate in conference calls or attend events after the kids come home and until they go to bed.

My sister was asking me the other day how do people tweet when they have kids that have homework. Isn't that funny? A few years ago, there wasn't any such thing as Twitter! But the answer is simple that parents too have to switch off the computer and sit with their children while they do their homework. It's a sacrifice that needs to be made if you want to make sure they are doing their homework and are doing it right.

I love this family and the love they have for each other. I believe they are truly are wonderful example. Check out the video confession from the President about the Television watching below:






No comments: