I love Facebook because it has evolved from this online social networking tool for college students (in the past, you needed to input your school ID to have access) into a tool to reconnect with old friends from the past. (Also, few people know that a "facebook" was a paper book of faces used on some high school and college campuses so that students can know the faces of fellow students. We had them all throughout lawschool.)
Anyhoo, unlike Myspace, your "friends" on Facebook are most likely folks you have real life past experience, relationship, friendship or familial relations with and not just random folks who find you look cute and want a call themselves a friend in hopes of hitting on you later. Thus, since I joined about a year ago, I have been able to chat randomly, communicate via wall posts, Facebook mail with folks from my past and real friends I have now, but who I rarely get a chance to interact with because of our busy lives. And if you think about it, honestly, sometimes, it's not always easy to pick up a phone and reconnect with friends from the past. For one, you'd have a hard time catching them with everyone being so transient and second, even if you did, that exchange would easily turn awkward and uncomfortable after the initial catch up topics are dispensed with, and since everyone knows electronic communication is less stressful means of interacting than person to person, Facebook is the BEST invention in a long time, in my book.
Get this, my 19 year old baby sister said that some of her friends do not even have a real email account, but rely on Facebook to get messages. Now that is taking the cake. What a difference a generation makes, huh? This is the same generation with so many members who do not own or have access to land phones at all, or cameras because they rely on their mobile devices to perform every function.
My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE thing about Facebook, I must admit, is the "status update" feature which allows users to update their status as to what they are doing, thinking or lamenting over, or to express whatever sentiment they wish. Using this tool one can even communicate with another person in their circle of friends whom they know is watching the status, indirectly in a sort of passive voyeuristic way. And I say voyeuristic because what some people find off putting about Facebook is that once someone becomes your "friend", they have access to your personal communication with others that are left on your wall and other responses to photo comments. They can "macco" to coin a Trini phrase your life. One can be tagged in another person's album and someone can follow you to that other person's page, so long as the privacy settings aren't too restrictive. It's a stalker's dream come tru, that's for sure.
I do notice that there have been instances of people taking it too far and have seen or heard of people breaking up with their significant others, finding out that an ex has been dating a friend, announcing pregnancies and other personal private matters via the service. I've watched marriages and relationships falter and fail as the parties bicker and exchange status updates, comment of photos and change their "bio" status from married to single via Facebook. INTENSE, EH?
One of my siblings said she didn't like the "status update" function because she felt it was ridiculous that people felt the need to constantly update what they were doing at every point of the day and including even the most mundane of tasks like what they are eating for breakfast. That doesn't bother me, primarily, I guess because I am one of those folks who thrive on attention, and am open with most of my life with many people. I am an open book via a blog and other online communities, and am not too shy about sharing. I like the status feature because (1) they are conversation starters and help people continue dialogue and being in each other's lives in a non-invasive way. I don't think twice about dropping a line and commenting on someone's status and continuing the cycle of staying in touch; and (2) the status updates give me a glimpse into other people's priorities, and I get to feel as I am part of their day. Maybe I'm just nosy, but who isn't?
Also, for a person who works from home and who receives very little adult interaction during the day, I crave, welcome and enjoy having a few "procrastination moments" to not only peruse my favorite blogs, chat with friends from online communities and take in my daily Facebook "hit"
Only this month, I started to really actively update my status quite frequently and with the month not even done, I've counted that I've made THIRTY!! YES 3-0 UPDATES! CRAZY!!
and they are in reverse chronological order
30.JJ is a "mean girl" and a snob and needs to learn to be a better person
29. JJ loves to show off, but you never thot I'd take it that far.
28. JJ don't know why you love me but that is why i love you.
27. JJ cannot believe mccain is trying to suspend the debates! CHICKEN!!!
26. JJ is going to catch up by Monday.
25. JJ is getting her groove back.
24. JJ doesn't want to be bothered for a little while...
23. JJ is looking forward to the presidential debates this Friday and the VP debates next week!
22. JJ is in flux...again
21. JJ is upset at Facebook for making it harder to sneak stuff past her husband! DAMN YOU FACEBOOOK!! hrmpf!
20. JJ is an entrepreneur.
19. JJ has procrastinated yet another perfectly good day away!
18. JJ cannot believe the lengths "elephants" will go thru to suppress folks' voting rights!
17. JJ is sore!
16. JJ just signed up for the Obama Voter Protection Program.
15. JJ is up at 5am because people don't do what they are assigned! *sigh*.
14. JJ is immuned to the sound of screaming children.
13. JJ has always liked the new facebook because she is a vanilla type of person.
12. JJ has been "Bush Doctrined"!
11. JJ has only five more things to do tonight before she gets to go to bed..
10. JJ is gonna Take a break from facebook! CHALLENGE!!
9. JJ is having a lunch/dinner play date with two families.
8. JJ just dropped off the kids and is ready for part 3 and the last nuggets of the day.
7. JJ is watching her 8month old play rough and tumble with her brothers. she is definitely no girly girl!
6. JJ is squeezing her bubble butt into a tiny pair of seven jeans and determined to get her mojito on! 11
5. JJ might have to spend her birthday hiding from hurricane hanna's rainstorms!
4. JJ is beautifully blessed!
3. JJ thinks she is gonna hafta take over the assignment she gave her husband! especially since the blasted NFL football season has started!
2. JJ is about to exercise her 2nd amendment rights on this deranged raccoon if he doesn't stay out her TRASH!!!
1. JJ just made her annual birthday mani/pedi/facial day spa appointment for saturday and is feeling relaxed already!
Reading that gave me a little chuckle! I need a reprieve for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment