I now understand why some people are very strict about what they let their children eat. I used to think folks who restricted children's diets to exclude sweets, sodas, ice cream and other junk were going over the top. What's wrong with a slice of pizza now and then, right?
I vividly recalled reading books and hearing warnings from my pediatrician to introduce vegetables and bland foods first to the babies when they first start eating solid foods. You want to acclimate their young pallates to less sweet foods, wholesome and vitamin-rich foods.
Now, with a picky 5-year old eater and a temperamental 2 1/2 year old, I FINALLY GET IT!!
Once children get a taste of junk, it takes very strong and committed parenting to limit their intake of the poison. There are so many scenarios when it is easy to just succumb. Like when you're running around and have no time to stop that McDonald's or KFC becomes an easy option. You can smell the polysaturated fatty oils the nuggets and fries are cooked in and you know that allowing your kids to eat such crap too regularly is sure to increase their risks of being obese later.
Then, there are those moments when you are stressed, on the phone, in between gigs and home projects and you've got a kid begging for a donut. It's easy to just let em have it to quiet them down. I think of my family history of diabetes (especially on my hubby's side) and I am weray that the kids have an increased risk of developing Diabetes. I want to limit their sugar intake. I've eliminated juices with added sugar from their diet. We only go with flavored water, 100% juices occasionally, milk and water. More water.
However, I must admit, in the heat of hectic moments, and when stressed beyond my limits, it's so easy to give in. I WANT to stick to my guns. But admittedly, there have been soooo many times that I am balancing a couple of work and personal organization projects, trying to prepare their clothes for school the next day and organizing piano, kindermusik and homework assignments, and I just don't take on an extra battle over food. It gets demoted in my list of priorities and the next thing you know, they are munching away at left-over Halloween candy, crunching on corn chips or gnawing away on a popsicle.
am realizing I am going to have to sacrifice sanity and peace sometimes to raise wholesome healthy kids. *sigh*
Of course, you're better off not even buying the stuff or having it in your house, but at this late stage in the game when they expect it, I'd have a heck of a time introducing healthy alternatives and I'm not sure I'm ready to invest the time and energy for that level of fight yet.
I had one of the worst battles with the boys this week over meals. J-Boy used to be a hearty eater, had a wonderful appetite and ate a variety of foods. BUT since Halloween this year, he got an opportunity to really get into "handy" or candy. His tastes have changed 180degrees within the past few months and now that is all he prefers: junk food. I prepare a healthy dinner and he refuses to eat it. He wants "handy" (e.g. candy) or "cookies" or "chips". I stick to my guns and say no. He tosses himself on the ground writhing in a whiny mess. I have to just adjust and get used to the screaming. Put him in a corner. Give him a stern warning to stop misbehaving.
Meanwhile, C-boy continues to try to bargain on the amount of food he must eat.
"Can I just eat one bite? How about just 2 pieces and then I get the cheetos?" He is the picky eater. If a food item doesn't smell or look right, is overly or under -cooked, is too salty or tastes "weird", he's shaking his head and not eating it. He doesn't care to sample foods he's never seen or eaten before. He has his staples which are not the most wholesome fare either: macaronni and cheee, hot dogs (processed meat, ugh!), cheese pizza, peanut butter and syrup sandwhiches. Notice there are no veggies in this list? He refuses to eat them and I, in shame, have given up even trying to feed them to him. I am happy that he will at least eat apples, pears, oranges and grapes, but no other fruits.
THANK GOD FOR MULTI-VITAMINS which we rely on to supplement their nutritional needs.
Hmprph!!
It's so frustrating, but I figure out, the moment one gives in to bargaining, to a temper tantrum or cave for the sake of peace and placating a whiny child, children learn that the rules are NOT HARD AND FAST. With enough persistance, they are smart and intuitive to know that you may give in and so why not give it a try.
I ignore the pediatricians who say prepare one meal and no special meals and if he doesn't eat the family meal, let him go to bed hungry. That is an option that I've never ever done because it's so hard to starve your kid...but I have tried a variation of that tactic but with his staple special foods (the ones that are not part of the adult meal).
C-boy was begging for cheetos before dinner. I told him I had prepared a meal for me and daddy and he must eat at the dinner table with us the macaroni and cheese and hot dogs I had prepaerd for him and his brothers. C-boy says he doesn't "feel" like saying grace before eating. He's in a huff because we are making him eat a healthy meal. Trinihubby says prayers and guess what, Cboy must have been hungry because he cleaned his plate and had a bowl of fresh fruit afterwards. No cheetos were eaten that day because his hunger had been placated with the macaroni and cheese, he didn't even bother to ask for it again.
J-Boy on the other hand, picks with his meals and will eat one or two bites. He'll then walk around hungry. He's gotten into this recent habit of requesting cold cereal and milk after being put to bed. We oblige him because we know he had virtually gone to be hungry after we refuse to let him have junk. So there I sit helping him spoon apple jacks or Honeycombs. Then, whe have to brush his teeth all over again and put him back to bed.
It's such a bad trend and habit, but thus is the delicate balance and challenges of the FOOD WARS in our house.
No comments:
Post a Comment