Sunday, June 8, 2008

Party Central - End of an Era

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter what social event our friends are planning to intend or have been invited to, TrinDaddy and I get at least 3 calls from folks asking us details about the event. They don't even ask the host of the event or call the "Info" line, if there is one. They call us "Party Central". Apparently, over the years, maybe because we used to entertain a lot or maybe because we rose to the challenge of organizing our friends' partying time and time again, we are the standard bearer for the social calendar of our friends. Many a times, folks gather at our home before departing as is the case with annual festivals like DC Carnival.

Alas, three kids and one lawsuit from a woman who claimed she got hurt on our property (long story) later, we no longer entertain in our home much. Also, because we want to sell our home, we've painted it and prepped it for sale. We didn't tell our in real life (IRL) friends of our plans because we were really just "testing" the market and wasn't sure if we failed, if we would want to make a big old announcement and have to field a series of queries and questions. Trinihubby and I promised not to tell anyone until we got an offer. WE don't believe in "jinx" but you never know.

But boy when word got out accidentally at a social event this weekend, did we GET GRILLED! Well there have been "hints" of our plans via my Facebook page where Ive published and mentioned "staging" of our house. Many IRL friends we know keep up with Facebook happenings. I like Facebook because it is no longer just for college kids, but is an excellent social networking tool much more acceptable than MySpace. Facebook is popular among friends because your "friends" are usually people who one would know from past real life interaction. MySpace on the other hand is known for people skimming through member profiles and asking to be friends with attractive folks seen in hopes of hooking up in a real life encounter later, for example. Facebook is an easier and less personable way of keeping track with people without necessarily having that uncomfortable "catch up" phone call that could be filled with awkward pauses.

Anywhoo, during our grilling, one IRL and FB friend mentioned, "Um aren't you 'staging' your house?" Uh oh! So the word is out. *sigh* TriniHubby blamed me for it and though I am guilty, I denied it all!!! We had the "talk" about it on the way home but he didn't go too hard on me. ha!

In the end, I think folks are bummed b/c they see an end to an era perhaps because we are centrally located, close to DC. Soon, God willing, Our home, where it is, the institution of party central will belong to another.

Yes, I am being quite Overdramatic here, I admit! HA!

No comments: