
pardon my poor grammar, but today, I had the utter displeasure of riding on one of the "new" DC metrorail cars with hard linoleum like NY CITY SUBWAY like floors. YUCK!
I stepped on the train with trepidation. I knew the metrorail system had talked about switching before because the wonderful, non-bottom grade orange carpet that usually lines the floors of subway cars had been expensive to clean, like 6 million dollars a year, the Washington Post reported. People were talking a lot about the decision to remove the carpet two years ago. So this is old news, but news to me, the newest rider to the metro system.
I recall there was even talks of replacing our rows of soft padded seats with hard benches that would line the perimeter of the train to allow more people to cram on and be able to stand on any given car. Granted, I acknowledge that, now especially with record high gas prices, Metro is more crowded than ever, but my word, do we really have to lose our clean, retro chic rail cars to a grungier, grittier, New York subway system that I usually associate with mean-mugging, dark clothes wearing, scowl faced riders???
Next thing I know, people will be traveling car to car singing out of tune and harassing me for a quarter for their untalented howling or explaining why I need to fork over a dollar so they can live their dream of making it on...er..not Broadway...er...Capitol Hill!!! *sigh* I'm broken hearted. I don't live in New York city for a reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment