Wasn't I just doting over my two eldest mischiemakers? Well, Plans have changed! I am officially 10 seconds from calling SuperNanny or Nanny 911...or looking up the closest Mischiefmaker drop off post. I think someone needs to invent a Kids Involuntary Commitment center where you can drop off your nutty kids for a day or two or a week or 5! ha!
PMS + Naughty Spoiled Rotten Mischiefmakers don't mix! For the past few hours while Trinidaddy has been at the gym, the two chief mischiefmakers have been taking turns testing my patience.
Grrrrr. Of course they would select to do this on those days and times when I alone have to deal with them and their baby sister, who currently is getting over a bout of croup and a cold. I really really need a NANNY!!
CBoy is in relapse. I'm going to have to re commit him in a second. He was frustrated because the computer had frozen and so as I am climbing up the steps, all I am hearing is BANG! BANG!! BANG!! I turn the corner to see my computer mouse dangling! I really think he lost his mind.
and you know I was just about to do my usual "judgmental-like" post about those mothers that let their toddlers freely explore and refuse to put boundaries on their kid. There are several examples that come to mind, but most vivid I can think of right now is those moms that let their toddlers climb all over the Librarian's lap during story time, topple over the bubble juice for bubble time and pull down the stuffed animals and puppets in the middle of a story. I mean they just sit right down and see their child wreaking havoc and do nothing. It's all fine and dandy to let junior turn his house into pee wee's playhouse, but in public, rein in your kid will ya?
Anyway, I digress. The post was going to be about boundaries and the importance of saying no to your kid and not letting them get away with stuff just because you as a parent don't want to be bothered or are "picking their battles". I used to get cast judgment on those parents who let their kids suck on pacifiers beyond infancy or drink out of bottles well past their second birthdays, but whom am I to judge?
I am currently having my own challenges dealing with my Mischiefmakers, particularly JBoy and Cboy, who like typical 6 and 3 year olds, are constantly testing their boundaries. They are sweethearts most of the time, but every once in a while, they get possessed by the ghost of Frankenchild!
JBoy will just turn tantrums immediately after he leaves day care or a child care. The caregivers tell us he is so polite and well mannered, and that he is courteous and well behaved, but the moment he steps foot outside of the school, he starts to break down and have repeated tantrums. He knows that his parents have more tolerance for his B.S. I think he is still having a tough time coping with the idea of being replaced as the youngest. He often makes cooing sounds, mimics his baby sister and will drink out of her baby bottle, crawl on the floor and beg to be cradled. It is obvious that he needs more individual attention and JBoy alone time. We're working on it.
CBoy on the other hand has obsessive behaviors and when we take away a privilege because of naughty behavior, like banging my computer mouse on the desk, he reverts to tantrum throwing and saying negative off colour stuff that had us reevaluating all sorts of things. We've been working on that too and it was getting better, but he is in relapse it seems. Can't tell if he is just very clever and manipulative or if it really is something else that we need to monitor and keep our eye on.
Meanwhile, GG is cutting her top teeth and is having a cranky time of it. Smart girl is walking, and running (in this video)
but she can't run away from the germs her brothers bring home.
I think we are fine using a variety of discipline methods: negative reinforcement (taking away a privilege), positive reinforcement (giving a treat/privilege for modifying behavior), the corner/time out (they hate it) and my favorite the "firm tap." (mentioned in this brief article) which we don't use too often for fear of creating little bullies as is implied in this article. Though in this article with a survey showing 2o brief reasonings in favor of and 20 brief reasonings against spanking, the consensus was that a little "firm tap" every once in a while can't hurt.
hmmm..... I'm biding my time. I am conflicted. Don't want them to grow too fast as I am savoring their every waking moment and their periods of discovery and all, but the imaurity and bratty-ness is driving me BANANAS!
2 comments:
Awww look at your princess toddling about- she has such a gorgeous smile. She still reminds me of the beautiful features of C-Boy as a baby. As far as the wild lost their mind boys- I have two of my own that some days I really have to consider if they need to be dropped off somewhere too lol. We take it day by day, I just keep hoping that turning 4 will suddenly make ETot decide to find his mind which he chooses to lose on a regular basis.
I tell ya, taking it day by day is really the only way I can keep my sanity around here. lol
And I don't even have boys, my girl is quite a hand full all on her own.
Post a Comment