Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tackle It Tuesday: THE NESTING CONTINUES

SOOOOO

i've had the PLAN for months now to sort the 100+lbs of looseleaf papers, documents, mail and files that I had stored in my attic into three categories

1. to be shredded b/c of financial information on the documents
2. to be thrown away b/c it is trash
3. to be filed away b/c it is a needed document we may need to access later (like warranties, home warranty numbers, etc)

after working on it bit by bit and procrastinating a WHOLE LOT, i've made this week the week to really get to it

after i'm done, the plan has been to purge the old archaic documents (over 3 years old) that are currently housed my office file cabinets and replace them with the more recent files that we more likely will need to access at some point. (like tax filings and important correspondences).

there has been a couple of occasions when we've needed documents and i could not find them AT ALL b/c we had such a poor organization system.

After this task, i hope to organize my various companies' business papers and hand them off to the accountant for end of the year filings and tax preparation.

Finally, i hope to "feminize" the kids' room a little by adding girly drawer pulls, wall hangings and other elements.


ALAS...WITNESS...EXHIBIT A
AND EXHIBIT B
I've already put a dent in these stacks and plan to wrap up the looseleaf papers today. The remaining boxes are items already in file folders. I just have to decide which ones remain in boxes to be stored in the basement, get chucked, or get promoted to the office file cabinets.

3 comments:

La said...

That's a super ambitous project. You go girl! I get so tired of paper I am more likely to just trash a whole box instead of sifting through.

Unknown said...

You are definitely inspiring me with your great progress! I got rid of a bunch of paperwork but haven't been keeping up with new stuff as it seems to be piling up like crazy. Time to get a real organization system in place.

JayJayGhatt said...

i'm down to my last big box of looseleaf paper and i'm praying it is mostly junk b/c the financial docs take FOREVER to sort thru.

i see a light at the end of the rainbow.

Yo, you are right, the CHALLENGE is keeping up with the new system once it's all organized. I'd HATE to have to repeat this madness in 6 months.

La, i thot of that, but then it's the holidays and identity theft is on the rise. You hear about those college kids sifting thru their neighbors trash and stealing their identities? yikes!