Friday, December 7, 2007

what makes you think i work here?!?


i had a wonderful day with my mom today. we went to the docs, and then to Friday Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

After looking at some exhibits of the various incarnations of Mary statutes, we headed to the book store and then lunch. The place is choc-full of patrons who I guess find hanging at the Shrine on Friday a fun lime (like us I guess) tee hee...

...so we're eating and chilling, right and just then a woman dining alone at the next table turns and asks me where to put her tray. huh? i say "well...er...I guess" and look around.

I didn't know she thought I worked there until she went "Oh you don't work here"

I mean really, I'm dining...you're dining...I have my handbag and coat on the empty chair next to me and so do you...what about that made you think I worked at the joint???

Hmprph!

Then, we head to the bookstore and 15 minutes into our browsing, a young French woman walks past the two people standing behind the check out line near the front door and makes a bee line for me and asks, "This is Josh Grogen playing on the speaker right?" and I say "yup. I think so. Grogen's "You lift me up" was piping throughout the store. Then she goes, is this CD a 2007 CD?

Huh? I'm wondering, do I have a name tag that says "I work for Billboard" on my forehead, how the frick am I supposed to know. Really, I was standing there with my handbag thrown over my shoulder, coat draped over my arms and several items for purchase balanced in my two hands.

Then I look around and point towards the woman with the red apron on and tell her, "maybe you should ask her." and the woman replies, "oh, sorry. You don't work here!"

Ha!!

I guess I shouldn't blame the woman. I was wearing a Read Sweater and all the good stores have their clerks wearing Red to commemorate the Holiday Season...and I was "browsing while black."

Gotta make a mental note to avoid wearing red until January! LOL!!!

No comments: