Saturday, April 19, 2008

City Baby DC



I just discovered another interesting book, City Baby DC, that I probably won't have time to read. I did, however, have a chance to skim thru it while perusing the shelves of my local bookstore recently.

Written by a mom of two, who resides in the posh Georgetown neighborhood in DC and is the great great granddaughter of the inventor of the Morse Code (figures, only old money live in Georgetown), the book touts itself to be chock full of information for parents living in the DC area from info about bookstores, breastfeeding and pumping resources, birth announcements, and sleep consultants, to advice about selecting pediatricians, navigating playgroups, to where to find good baby bargains.

HOOOOLD THE HORSES!!! Woaaah Nelly!!! As usual, it completely omits resources in the county where I live in which is also a suburb of DC and is the wealthiest black county in the country. Typical, I am used to (but so over) the fact that my county IS CONSTANTLY overlooked by posh and moneyed people and apparently the readers of the Washington Post, Washingtonian magazine, Washington Family magazine and most other publications aimed at DC area families and consumers!! True, my county does not attract and have the same caliber of retailers and services as Montgomery and Fairfax counties, which have the best schools, high home values and well paid residents, but we do have a lot going for us over here in Prince George's County! Hrpmph!!

Also, granted the DC area is full of high earning professionals, but even a 100K+ earner may have a hard time schlepping to Baltimore to pick up the best $500.00 cake...SORRY, Ms. Norse, your TRUST FUND is showing. Alas, the book seems to offer suggestions waaaaay over the budget of the average family in the area.

Maybe, one of these days I'll be able to live the rich and fabulous life of old money spenders, but today is not that day and judging by this home remodeling estimate in front of me, it looks like tomorrow isn't the day either!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can write your own version, for hip, educated, new/no money families. Working families who want the best for their kids.

Prince George's is the 4th richest county in the country (not just the richest black county). They constantly underestimate us.
Natasha

JayJayGhatt said...

good idea! id need a co-author tho. u in? ;)

Anonymous said...

You're lucky you didn't spend money on that awful book like I did. When I bought it, it was so new that it only had one 5 star review, which I foolishly believed. I was so incredibly disappointed in the book that I left a scathing review on Amazon. I mentioned early in my review that PG County pretty much doesn't exist in the book and warned other potential buyers of the book that huge segments of DC are completely neglected. Not just PG, but south on I-395/I-95 and those who are metro dependent.

Since my 1 star review was posted, 2 new 5 star reviews have been posted. And my review was voted as "unhelpful" by 3 out of 4 people so it has been bumped off the front page.

Ever since I wasted my money on this book I've been making an effort to save the useful information I come across to share with newly pregnant friends and warning them not to buy this book.

JayJayGhatt said...

what da!anon! you me and natasha got a good money maker on our hands.

im going to give your review a thumbs up on amazon.com, anon.

that probably came from the publicist repping that woman or maybe her friends. why would anyone say your opinion is not helpful. those are my sentiments exactly!

damn them!