Monday, April 7, 2008

Regifting Basics

I recently went to a major department store to return or exchange an extra winter bunting that I received as a shower gift for my new baby. However, because I waited too long to return the darn thing, I discover that the coat is now only worth a WHOPPING $1.45 and because I did not have a gift receipt I would have to take the $1.45 instead of the $40.00 which was the value of the coat when originally purchased. As it is spring, the store had heavily discounted the price and made it a clearance item, hence the low cost. Oh poo! It's okay, waste not want not, I had a PERFECT solution....RE-GIFT!!! I decided to not return the coat and to keep it instead. Surely, there will be someone I know having a baby girl (it was pink) in a coming winter and buntings never go out of style.

Like most people, on occasion, I have been the recipient of presents which were not initially intended for me but for the giver of the gift. People RE-GIFT for a variety of reasons: to save money on purchasing something for you; because they don't like the item; because they or their child didn't get a chance to use the item (as in my case) or they just didn't like the item...whatever. I usually don't mind receiving re-gifts, however, once in a while I get the RE-GIFT that is soooooo OBVIOUS it's a re-gift, it isn't funny. Here are the top clues that have given away recent gifts. We got...

... For my 3 month old a dress that is for a 3 year old! - oh yeah, re-gift

...A sweater which the parents had cut the tags in the back out already so as not to scratch their child's neck...oh and the store tags missing...AND with a crumb stain on it - yup, re-gift...and a worn re-gift. tsk. tsk.

... A toy bicycle for a child up to 9 months old for a child that is 1 year old - er...re-gift?

... A set of barbecue pork salt rub for a family that doesn't eat pork - could it be, lemme guess, re-gift!

... A very unattractive sweater in every color and pattern imaginable. Hand knitted...with the initials "KPT" sewn in the corner and your initials are "JJG"!!!!!....hmmmm...RE-GIFT!

Think and plan before you re-gift...it's not something you should just do haphazardly unless you don't care that the recipient knows...in which case you might as well say,

"hey buddy, this was sitting around the house unused and I thought I'd save myself some extra bucks, chuck it in this here gift bag and give it to you!

HA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of those are not necessarily re-gifts eg the 3yr old dress for a 3mth old. When people don't have kids they look at how something looks and guestimate. I know b/f I had kids I did that. And Mummy is ALWAYS buying TOO big clothes for my boys.
Same w/t the bicycle. And how would someone know you don't eat pork.
.. Well maybe that one was a re-gift :)
Natasha

JayJayGhatt said...

lol!! I'd guess you have a valid point, but for the fact the culprits have kids and are admitted regifters. hahaha! but you're right on the large clothes thing. I thot that was a cultural thing and African relatives always get stufff waaaay too big for the kids. Heck my dad bought Cboy a big boy bicycle for his 1st birthday! LOL!