Friday, October 17, 2008

Anal Feng Shui


I have always wished I was raised by a mother or grandmother who was steeped in knowledge about old time traditions and culture and would pass along tried and tested family habits and skills, like sewing, cooking, keeping the house clean, ironing etc.

Alas, no such luck. I knew none of my grandparents because I was not reared near them and/or they died before my birth... and my mom is not that type of mother to force me to do anything. Thus, why I cannot cook African food. I wish she had forced me. So, I am. admitedly jealous of those who are so fortunate to have grown up with, were raised by or were in constant contact with such elder maternal influences.

I am, however, a bit on the anal side, have a quasi Type A personality and am a first born...and I believe in Feng Shui, the ancient Chinese practice of arranging home or work environments to promote health, happiness, and prosperity! Save for this cluster of neurotic afflictions, associations, beliefs and personality, I have adopted at least ONE tradition/habit that I know for a fact many grandmothers often pass along to their offspring: FIX YOUR BED AFTER YOU RISE AND BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR THE DAY.

While it does cause me to leave late, I have a hard time leaving the house knowing that the bed hasn't been spread. Also, if there is a lot of clutter in the house, I have a difficult time walking out the door. I do not like to come home to a messy house and I've been known to do a last minute scramble to fix the clutter even whilst knowing I am X minutes already late for the event I am late for...

About 2-3 years ago, I started reading up on Feng Shui and from studying the ancient tradition, I now cannot go to sleep with the TV cabinet open, with any mirror facing outward or with closet doors or the bedroom door open. It's all bad for my Chi and for positive circulation.

I keep a lucky bamboo plant on my window sill and have been known to burn Frankincense and put coins inside the mouth of a ceramic frog facing towards my home to draw money in my house.

Yup. I'm a purveyor/believer of all things holistic, mumbo jumbo'ish, metaphysical etc. All while being Catholic to boot and probably stirring Saint Somebody in his grave! Ha!

bedding photo by Bradford Lucky bamboo photo by Infamous

No comments: