Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Deep Sea 3D Adventures

A couple of weekends ago, we went to the Smithsonian Institute's Museum of Natural History to check out the IMAX theater's showing of Deep Sea 3D. JBoy was a little bit afraid to sit in a dark theater and while I tried to enjoy the show with GG in my lap, 10 minutes into it, she too grew weary of the dark theater and forced me to leave and wait for TriniDaddy and the boys to come out. Booo! They loved the exhibit especially in the end when the fishes float towards you and you have to catch them...so I heard. whop whop whooooop
Afterwards, we checked out the The Sant Ocean Hall, the museum's largest permanent exhibition.Cboy in front of the large elephant in the open entry hall. You know, the one from all the movies, Jumanji, Night at the Museum etc hahaha.Jboy is obsessed with Bees for some reason, though he appears deathly afraid of them at the same time.
This was all part of this really neat and new interactive exhibit called Dig It! The Secrets of Soil which focuses on insects and their habitat. This was fun.They've really spruced up the exhibits since I used to come almost every week here and to other Smithsoneum museums as a kid...
I was particulary elated to see this permenant exhibit, African Voices, which examines the diversity, dynamism, and global influence of Africa’s peoples and cultures over time in the realms of family, work, community, and the natural environment. I loved that it chronicles civilation from Africa, the birthplace of all humankind! That notion is controversial as I recall vividly several White students in my college Human Anthropology class boycotting those classes that dealt with Lucy and the oldest human remains being found in Africa. They just couldn't stand the idea of originating from a Black woman. Imagine that?TrinDaddy's pointing out to Cboy where mommy's family came from...Er TriniD, move your finger further south and west, will ya? :SThis is a coffin and apparently, I just learned, is a modern tradition to be buried in one of these fancy creations designed like an object! who knew!the requisite Dinosaour exhibit...the old favoriteAfterward, we ventured down to the renowned and world famous Ollie's Trolley Restaurant for some delicious grub before heading home.

FUN TIMES!

No comments: