Monday, October 13, 2008

go to person


hmmm. It appears that in the last few days I have been working overtime as the "go to" person. You know that person that everyone turns to to do a favor, find a critical piece of information, file a document on their behalf, give them advice...etc. I have no problem obliging folks as it is my nature to be helpful if I can and to be a nurturer being a first born, virgo, Type A person that I am. I like order and thrive on maintaining balance not only in my life but those around me.

It appears that I come from a long line of "go to" persons.

My mother is the "go to" person in her family. My father is the "go to" person in his family. My husband is the "go to" person in his family and my husband's parents are the respective "go to" person in their respective families.

It is a burden and a privilege to be thought of so highly and to be considered dependable and amenable to others. However, at this juncture in my life, when I am frantically hustling and bustling to keep order in my own life, I'm beginning to feel the pressure of the "privilege" a bit more and am slowly cracking! *sigh* I have discovered a sure fire way of relieving myself of this pressure has been to just say "no" and not give out info even when I know it. It seems like a dis ingenious thing to do, to let people down on purpose, but there is no other way they will not freely feel they can take advantage of your kindness and apparent "infinite knowledge" in their books until they realize that you are not "superhuman" and all knowing as they think you are.

So far, I guess so long as I try to put my family and business first, at least for the next few months, I won't feel bad helping folks out, but I really really have to focus on self first and take these months to be selfish.

better stop blogging now and get BACK TO WORK!

2 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

i totally feel you on this. i recently learned to say "no". you just have to do it sometimes for the sheer need for self-preservation!

JayJayGhatt said...

yup Fergie! what you just said. *sigh* working on it.

love your avatar by the way. nice looking toes. reminds me that I need to book a mani, pedi eyebrow wax appointment soon!

someone just replied to my complaining about all on my complaint but telling me I should feel honored to be considered a "go to" person. Her words exactly. I asked her if she had peeped my blog! ha!