Wednesday, October 15, 2008

deep fried mexican to go!


Reason # 24 I love living near an area with a heavy Latino population: El Pollo Campero drive thru.

Where else can I get a Veggie burrito with a side of black beans and rice, plantains and fried cassava (yuca)?

I order my guilty fat-filled Guatemalan pleasure to go with a large Diet Coke, though something tells me that the typical El Pollo Campero customer doesn't "do" diet coke because for some reason I always get the regular sugar filled version no matter how much I protest in my broken Spanish. The receipt usually says "diet" but nonetheless the workers can't bring themselves to push that button. I'm beginning to think the fountain may not even contain a "diet" version of Coke. Certainly, there's several varieties of Fanta and other sugary sweet tropical drinks, but I digress...

Hmmm that reminds me that I also have to ask 2-3 times in Spanglish that me no want no Chicken in my burrito! And they are probably thinking, "who the heck comes to "POLLO" Campero and don't want chicken? Me, the Gringo, that's who! ha!

Heck, I should be grateful for the chance at practicing my Spanish huh? Soy "el stupido"

check out this review I spotted in the Dallas Observer. Kinda funny..heh heh...
---
Pollo Campero--“country chicken”--is the first Dallas outpost of a Guatemalan fast-food chain that is hugely popular in Central America. (The New York Times reports that Guatemalans often carry boxes and bags full of Pollo Campero victuals on their flights to the United States, filling the plane with the aroma of fried chicken. The chicken is either distributed to homesick relatives or sold by the piece for a profit.) It’s the only mass merchant of what it calls “Latin American fried chicken,” crispy and coated with adobo seasonings. It’s drawing crowds in Dallas now. If you don’t mind chicken that still has a few deep-fried pin feathers--the “country” attitude evidently extends to plucking--you’ll find the stuff addictive. It’s served with white corn tortillas or rolls, plus a few sides--the best was the “Campero beans,” fat pintos spiked with strong bacon flavor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Pollo Campero. The locations are far from my house, but the trip is always worth it.