Also, I discovered another automatic deduction for some electronic service I did ask for but forgot to cancel until too late. The company credited half the auto charges, but I was still out a good $70.00 for the half year. It was partially my fault for not noticing the auto debit and canceling it. Grrrrr!
The biggest ripoff was a "protection plan" that was charged to my Bank of America line of credit. They offer you these free preliminary no charge "period" and then the darn auto debit kicks in. This time it was for $150.00!! For 3 months!!! That's $450 BUCKS! aaaaugh! When I called, even after disputing it and going back and forth with the rep on the phone, she refused to refund it saying I was "protected" for those months! RIP OFF!!! I think I might have said yes to the trial period and had been too busy to carefully examine my statement all of those 3 months! argh!
Last week, while staying with my sister, I was nosying around her stack of mail and notice her phone bill was so high. I took a look at it and discovered the company had charged her for gaming services that I was sure my sister didn't order. I called it to her attention and she was able to call and have it removed. I guess she was grateful enough to not fuss at me for being in her bills. I did save her nearly $70.00 in an unauthorized charge. She had just paid the bill without even looking at the statement.
My husband found out some internet hacker had scraped his card info somehow and was using his credit/debit card to pay for Match.com and LavaLife dating services. Because it was his debit card, he noticed it quicker that it was happening b/c his accessible cash was so low!
NO WONDER MY LEFT HAND HAD BEEN ITCHING (old wives tale), I HAD BEEN HEMMORRHAGING MONEY EVERY MONTH AND NOT EVEN KNOWING IT!
GRRR!
THE LESSONS IN ALL OF THIS:
1. ALWAYS CAREFULLY REVIEW EACH MONTHLY STATEMENT without fail each and every month.
2. NEVER SAY YES TO PRELIMINARY PAYMENTS THAT RESULT IN AUTO DEBIT FROM YOUR ACCOUNTS AFTER THE PRELIM PERIOD LAPSES. your existing cc companies are notorious for doing this b/c they already have your account info and do not need to alert you to it by asking for it.
4 comments:
This is the exact reason I don't do auto payments...this happened to me with Sprint...the bill was getting higher and higher each month and I didn't even notice because it was auto paid with a credit card...it took forever to get it back though it took a second for them to take it!!! LOL
All I wanted was the credit card points which is why I was tying to get as many bills a possible paid using my credit card...quick lesson learned there!!!
this is such a rip off. i've got to remember to check my statements from now on. thanks for this post!!!
GRRRR. Im just glad we are all getting hipped to this NONSENSE!!
I agree you have to look at the bills carefully.
I go through ALL our bills w/ a fine tooth comb, including cable, water and lights and call the compnay if there's a significant change (of course for cable that's as little as a $1).
I NEVER take free trial offers if it requires me to take action to cancel.
Sometimes I fell as thouhg I'm missing out by not having 'miles' credit cards etc. But it gives me peace of mind.
And the only thing I direct debit from my checking acct is my life insurance. I pay everything else the old fashion way.
Natasha C
Post a Comment