Thursday, November 13, 2008

humidifier graveyard

If the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true, damn that adage! Over the past few allergy and cold seasons, I have purchased three, not one, not two, but THREE humidifiers made by Crane and each one died in under 6 months. I followed all the manufacturer rules and everything but after a half year of seasonal use, the darn things just die. At $35-40 a pop, retail at Target, I am thinking it might have been wise to just buy one of the more expensive models of humidifiers that may have a longer shelf life. (this cute froggy style was the first victim)

I blame myself, really, because after my second Crane humidifier died, (Thomas the Tank engine bit the dust in April 2008)


I was foolish enough to by a third, Spongebob here because Cboy loves Spongebob and I got suckered into the cuteness of the thing.


In true crappy Crane humidifier fashion, smack dab in the middle of ragweed season, old Spongey here stopped producing the cool mist!! *sniff* DANGIT! and I did in fact have every intent to register this last purchase with the company so I could rightfully claim my warranty which I believe is a year. In any event, I have the flu these days and the forced gas heat in my home, if left on all night, makes me wake with a very dry throat. I have no other alternative but to fork up some more dough and get ANOTHER humidifier or two: one for our bedroom and one for the boys! GG uses a vicks cool mist in her room, which she doesn't sleep in that often, but that is another story for another day...how I manage to raise three spoiled children who prefer to sleep with me than in their own beds.

And of course, I'm seeing online consumer reports and reviews are ranking the best ones in the $100 and over range. oy vey. Aye dios mio!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've had the penguin humidifier for years now and its still going strong. Do you have exceptionally hard water? I think when ours slowed down we'd clean it with white vinegar and it acts like new again.

JayJayGhatt said...

OH. i'm gonna try that right NOW!!

thanks yo!