Monday, November 3, 2008

i voted today

via in-person paper absentee voting ballot which probably won't be counted because Maryland is a Deep Blue state and absentee ballots only get counted in cases of close elections, but I wanted to say I actually voted anyway. Well...it took me three hours and 20 minutes to exercise that right to say that
Stupid me, I thought I was going to be able to walk in, get handed a paper ballot, fill it in and drop it in a box. Imagine my surprise when I drove up and saw the line snaking out of the building and around the block!!!
I had a full day's plan too. This was supposed to be a quick stop!

Good thing it wasn't too cold because I was dressed for a quick stop, not a three hour slow shuffle across a sidewalk! I moved one yard every half hour it felt like.

In any event, after I finally got through the doors, I signed in and sat in a warm room with about three dozen chairs lined in several rows. Periodically, election workers would come in and call names and then walk voter to tables where they would sit and fill in their ballots.

For the first time voters, when they would hand in their ballot, the worker would announce to the room "This is a First time Voter" and we would all erupt in applause.

It was a good experience and I was so elated to see so many types of people who I believe four, eight and twelve years ago certainly wouldn't have stood outside in line to vote early! Lots of people in wheelchairs and young folks too. Oh my goodness, did I just say "young folks"? I think I am aging by the second these days! ha!

and of course, you all know who my man was right??

in hindsight, every time I saw an able bodied person walking in escorting an elderly person, someone in a wheelchair, or cast or something, I thought "hmmm what a good hustle to get in ahead of the other able bodied people!" But I really really thought I messed up when I saw the lady with the baby stroll straight to the front! Dang it! I could have trudged GG out for that, we wouldn't have had to wait in the cold at all just go straight in!

1 comment:

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

Yayyy!! If you were in New York or Seattle you could have gotten this:

http://www.babeland.com/about/presskit/pressreleases/maverick-promotion/

But you can still get free Ben and Jerrys :D

GO OBAMA!!!