Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New Year Household Organization Plan

The very daunting plan that I started back in October 2007 is STILL going on! *Big sigh* I'm now done cleaning out and organizing the entire house and chucking the trash. The only THING to do now is to put all the papers I've decided need to be kept into a filing system.

I was going to try to short cut life and only put file labels on the folders and items I know I will need in the future (kids' schools, taxes, household warranties etc), but then I thought in the long run, I may never again have a major break like this maternity leave I am on now to do this type of major project so I might as well do a thorough job and do it now. *BIG BIG SIGH*

HERE is an excellent article on tips for organizing the household from MSNbc.

To get rid a major source of Junk and time consumer (having to shred these), I think I will call
The Credit Reporting Industry Pre-Screening Opt-Out hotline (888-567-8688) which removes your contact information from the lists for preapproved-credit-card solicitations of four major credit bureaus. (The hotline is recommended on the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site and has been cited by Consumer Reports.)

During my cleaning out, I discovered this barely used hardcover workbook, The Organized Mom Workbook, which has tips on Planning your household, Meals Planning, Household Cleaning, Dealing with School, and Memories. I'm finding it pretty helpful so far. It lists for $12.95 and I probably picked it up at a discount store for less than that. I found it on the net HERE starting at $1.99

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to find your blog. I am a new DC metro mom of color whose New Year's resolution was also to organize my home. The only steps I've taken toward accomplishing that goal are buying containers from the Container Store and going through half my shoes to determine what goes and what stays. Ugh! Every weekend either I'm tired as hell or have a ton of other things to do. Wish me luck. Your blog inspired me. Perhaps I'll get it done by the end of the year if I'm lucky. Smile. My son is 8 mos. old and I'm still trying to get into the swing of this challenging phase of life called motherhood. Getting organized would make my mornings much more sane, I know. Wish me luck.

JayJayGhatt said...

Hello and Welcome! Yay! I'm glad I could inspire someone...misery loves company after all...here I sit procrastinating...AGAIN. but! I am going to go do an hour of pilates while the baby sleeps, then after lunch I'm going back into the pile! hahaha!

Awww on your 8monther. It takes time, and noone's perfect on motherhood, so enjoy it all the mistakes and all.

and back to organizing again a second, everytime i have to come up with a document on a moment's notice and i realize that i am so unorganized that it would take hours to dig out the document, it reminds me why it is more important to just get it done.

hang in there and i think you are wise to give yourself a year to do it in. I think setting unrealistic goals set ourselves up for failure and then we give up and then have to live with the stress of knowing we are so unorganized! err. does that make sense?

anyway. off to pilates! :D