1. I arrived at 2:59 pm and was out the door at 3:03pm. woo hoo! now that's service! I love being able to take advantage of being home and living a stone's throw away from my polling place.
2. I was disappointed to see that there was not one campaign volunteer out there passing out pamphlets to try to sway me to vote one way or another. It was a virtual ghost town. I swear i saw a tumbleweed roll past me too. I mean not even the poor bloke who is challenging the seat of our 115th term State Senator bothered to send his brother-in-law or cousin to pass out a brochure on why we should out the incumbent.
I almost feel taken for granted.
3. I hear all this talk about "Superdelegates" possibly having to power to select essentially the democratic nominee if neither Clinton nor Obama captures the 2,025 delegates needed to secure the nomination before the convention . I don't know how i feel about the fate of the nominee resting in the hands of these super delegates — made up largely of Democratic National Committee (DNC) members and current and former elected officials. Yuck! Suddenly, I've gotten this nasty taste in my mouth and i think I smell the stench of 8 years ago when the Supreme Court picked the president of the United States. *hack* *cough* yak!
4. It is "interesting" as one audience member stated during the last democratic debate that as a 30+ year old woman, whenever I've had an opportunity to vote in a presidential election, there was a Clinton or Bush on the ticket and there has been for the past 18 years to be exact. (Reagan/Bush (80 & 84), Bush/Quayle (88), Clinton/Gore (92 & 96), Bush/Cheney 00 &04). Score 1 for Obama's "fresh new change to the old regime" motto, but Hillary's quip in response to that statement, "It took a Clinton to clean out the last Bush administration and it would take another Clinton to clean out this last one" was classic, I must admit. Score 1 for Hillary. No wonder they're in a dead heat!
5. The idea of the Democratic candidate being a black man or a white woman for the first time in history is wonderful for the democracy and it is exciting to see ordinarily complacent people get excited, start having conversations and email group exchanges over the candidates and volunteer with the campaigns and come out in record numbers to attend rallies and town hall meetings. I only hope the excitement carries over to the voter's booth. The bubble head chic who came up with the popular viral You Tube video "I got a Crush on Obama" didn't even vote! Talk about STUPID!
I still feel proud to be part of the process. *yawn* gonna take a nap now, that was a whole lot of politicking and thinking right there for one afternoon. I'm exhausted!
No comments:
Post a Comment