hmmm. just came from the mall and saw a 3month old infant getting her ears pierced in one of the jewelry stores.
the jury is out, but i thought if you were going to pierce your girl's ears, it was traditional to do it after 6months, but i'm learning from Caribbean and African relatives that they get it done as early as 6 weeks and no later than 3 months.
i guess the idea of the quick pain frightens me, but i suppose this is not as controversial decision as circumcision, but still...
i dunno. what is the norm?
2 comments:
Yes, I think 2-3 months is the "norm" for people from the West Indies. I waited until Girlie was old enough to start asking for it and could understand that it would hurt, which was about age 3. I felt ok doing it at that age after she pestered me for a few weeks and we talked about the potential pain (owies) involved. It was quick and painless without any complications. The child didn't even blink, lol.
Mine were done (in St. Lucia) when I was about 9 mos old. My mom was away on business, and my grandmother got it done behind her back, tsk, tsk.
You're right, it's less controversial than circumcision, but people still have strong opinions about it, IME.
thanks, Dee. This is helpful. I'm still uncertain and torn. I think I'll pray on it and see what happens...hmmmm :S
Post a Comment