Friday, March 7, 2008

nice gestures for new moms

This week a friend of mine offered to watch the baby and gave me a couple of hours to do whatever i wanted! WOW!!!! I was thinking of all the neat stuff I could do without the baby...going to get a facial...getting my hair twisted...going to a bookstore and cafe and get lost in a book without the anxiety of worrying if I'd have to whip out a boob, breastfeed and deal with the uncomfortable people around me....

I settled on going for a nice long run through my neighborhood. The weather was perfect. I took in the fresh green buds poking through the bare trees. I spied the changes and preparation for spring that my neighbors are doing in their yards and on their houses. It took me longer than usual to do the 5 mile romp and I had to stop and walk sometimes as I am slowly getting back into running shape. But it was a great gesture!

Got me to thinking that is what new moms need more, if possible, if someone is wondering what to do to help out:
  • give them an hour or two for a completely baby-free mommy alone time (even if they breastfeed exclusively and do not feel comfortably venturing far away, they could use that time to read, freely surf the internet, take a long hot bath at home or get lost in a good movie in the basement)
  • bring over Tupperware bowls of two or three night's worth of dinner
  • bring over some groceries of healthy snacks, diapers, formula, drinks, etc
  • watch the kids while she goes out with the hubby in the evening for dinner, the club or the movies
JUST SOME IDEAS!

No comments: