Monday, June 11, 2007

Jambalaya DC

Reason #242 Why I love DC so much...only in DC do you get a mish mash of people from different ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, races and socioeconomic classes meeting up on a Sunday afternoon to beat drums and DANCE!

TOTALLY IMPROMPTU!

at Malcolm X park in Adam's Morgan where my hubby used to "kick ball" every summer and burn off his winter weight gain, individual people emerge from their homes by foot, on bikes, in groups and pairs. They dress in ethnic garb and tote on their hips their Cuban bongos, African kettle, East Indian Tassa and all types of drums. Together, they coordinate and create pulsating and rhythmic beats.

Women Dance. Children play in the water fountain. People tussle about with their dogs. Tai Chi masters teach their craft to whomever is interested. Men challenge one another to dance offs, doing one arm pushups. The smell of jasmine incense waifs through the air. aHHH SUMMER in DC!










6 comments:

Jada said...

Wow looks like a lot of fun.I love your photos.

Anonymous said...

I luvs me some D.C.! Wish I was there right now.

Anonymous said...

And where are pics of you and D shaking your groove thangs? That looks like so much fun :)

JayJayGhatt said...

i was too shy to shake any groove anything. at least not on the first day. *snicker*

KayaKitty said...

I love DC for the same reason, JJ. I live near the park and went quite a bit on Sundays last year. I've been on the bike prepping for that Diabetes ride on with CaribUnited on Sundays so I haven't been yet this year. Somebody gave me a rhythm CD after wine fest that reminded I need to get out there. This year, I aim to get in the dirt and dance!! Oh, and your boys are ADORABLE!

JayJayGhatt said...

thnx kayakitty, yes. Dance! I...er...will come to cheer you on! i ent have the nerves yet. :)