Wednesday, June 13, 2007

WEDNESDAY COFFEE FOLLY: Relieved by Diagnosis



Combing thru the back posts of a fabulous momblog I just discovered from Fashionista's blog roll: Hot Mama's Guide to Life

I discovered Hot Mama P featured the book and interview from the author of a new novel, Momzilla, which chronicles the life of a mom from laid back San Francisco who gets transplanted to the East coast when her husband changes jobs and is thrust into the existence of over-achieving stay-at-home moms who have left their high powered jobs behind, but have transferred their aggressive drive and determination onto raising the best and brightest kids, determined to get them into the best schools and have the best play dates and birthday parties.

It was an alcohol anonymous type awakening when I was reading through Hot Mama's post on the book and a video interview she did with author Jill Kargman. You know first step is "awareness".

Me: Hi, I'm JJ and I'm a Momzilla"

All: Hi JJ

Leader: When did you first discover....

you get what I'm saying. According to this novel, it's NOT a good thing. You want to run, don't walk away from being this type of monster. But in honesty, I think I'm fighting my inner mozilla with my outer "absent bread winner". I made a left turn towards momzilla-dome when I saw myself becoming like that "absent bread winner" type parent who is so busy trying to drive home the deal, make money, be part of every conference and be a jet setter that s/he shoos away the kids in favor of attending to his/her computer, pda, cellie. I was out every weekday evening at events and Dave was putting the kids to bed every night.

Since, I've been working from home and trying NOT to be an absentee parent, my sales have sacrificed and I'm struggling to close more deals given I'm not out there hustling as much. There is a fine line and I have to find away from straying from one extreme to the next. There has to be a middle ground for me. The challenge is finding it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy! I hear you on finding the middle ground. Let me know when you find it. LOL!

btw, my son's middle name is Caleb! Great minds think alike, huh? ;) Great blog! Thanks for the link love :)

D Trini in Me said...

Don't worry you'll find it. One day you'll crawl out of bed and there it will be.

Anonymous said...

You? Momzilla? Overachiever, perhaps- great mom, definitely but the Momzilla label would be very very loosely attached to such a caring and enthusiastic person. Just my opinion but I think I've known you long enough to have an idea ;)

JayJayGhatt said...

hahaha Guys!

thnx P. Great minds indeed! Isn't Caleb great.

i hope so D Trini in me

Yo, yeah, maybe Momzilla isn't it, but overachiever? you're on to something. i need to leave labels alone. :)