Thursday, September 13, 2007

Flashback Thursday: Oh those Groupie days!

Okay, this flashback is dedicated to Lisa C, who's husband D. Charles is a spitting image of Chris Rock.

HERE'S THE CORRESPONDING STORY:
Back when I was a carefree spirit who wouldn't think twice about sneaking into private VIP receptions, I did just that with my girl Shanon here after a Chris Rock concert in Baltimore.

After the show, we asked a guard if there was a meet and greet after the show and the guard said, "NO. No public event tonight."

Aha! I thought. That meant there must be a private one somewhere.

We scoured the back rooms, and every nook and cranny of that concert hall searching for the meet and greet room while the honest attendees flowed out and to their cars. Just then, we see a group of giddy young people messing with a camera and make a bee line downstairs. I tell my friend, "Aha, we now know where Chris is! hahahaha!"

We spotted the guard again on our way down, but then pretended to be looking for the bathroom. Slick. Slick. He said nothing to us. We saw the teenagers knock on a door, a female guard opened. They told her something and then disappeared inside.

I told my friend, as soon as those doors open again, I'm going in and if you're not behind me, you'll miss out! Sure enough after the doors open, she and I made a beeline for the doors. I told the female guard at the door that Melanie (made up) told us we could get a photo with Mr. Rock. She shrugged, told us to wait inside by the door while she checked our story. I saw her walk to the other side of the room and check with a head security across the room. She pointed in our direction. The head security guard looked over at us bewildered, he shrugged and shook his head no.

TOO LATE. By that time, we had already tapped one of Chris' brothers or assistants to take our picture! I remember rambling something about being a fan of his since he used to perform on Showtime at the Apollo in the early 1990s and blah blah blah. All the while, he kept looking behind us nervously AT HIS WIFE who prolly was giving him the EVIL EYE!! ha!

I guess we were harmless enough. I don't think I have the cohonnes to pull off stuff like that anymore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, he looks like he was feeling the evil eye penetrating the back of his head in this pic, lol.

shaz said...

lol! you real brave :)

David D. Charles said...

JJ, thanks for the love. I get the Chris Rock comment all the time.

Granted he's one of my favorite comedians, but personally, I just don't see the resemblance.

I also get told that I look like Tiger Woods whenever I wore a baseball cap.

Great story, btw!

Lisa R Charles said...

Lady, Lady that was too funny!! We would have got into a whole latta mess if we hung together back in the day...lol. Trini 2 de bone!

But I gotta go with hubby, I just don't see the resemblance. It's amazing how many other people do.
He also gets that he looks like Dave Chappelle, do you see it?

Oh, and before I forget, thanks for the linky love!