Sunday, September 23, 2007

the things we do for relatives

a cousin of mine is getting married this December and asked me in January, after meeting her for the first time in my adult life, to buy her wedding dress.

...well, that is the type of requests you get from relatives over there...so my mom and I headed down to the last day of David's Bridal's $99.00 dress sale TODAY.

Of course, by that time there was nothing but slim pickings and my mom just couldn't settle...so she kicked in $200.00 to my $150.00 budget and we got this dress which I decided to model so I could email it to her and she can plan her bridesmaids, flowers etc around the dress :
cute, eh?

Here it is in black and white which I think is more elegant. Black and white photos come out the best sometimes.

and the back of the dress, first in color and then in black and white:you won't believe what she tells me after I call her to get her email to send photos of the dress. I ask her how her daughter is doing and she tells me her school fees are expensive! Can you believe the nerve????

I reply by telling her, "I know how you're feeling and you can imagine I have two kids and the fees are more than triple the cost in America!"

The NERVE! then she asks about gloves, veil and shoes. Whaaaat??? They sell that stuff in Africa!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful dress!! And the price wasn't bad at all.

Yes, the nerve of relatives can be a real pain. I'm not even going to mention what my Mom said to me just last night. Just let me say, it had me shaking my head.

So, are you going to buy the accessories too?

Anonymous said...

Cute dress. I can't believe she was asking you to be even more generous! Wow.

Anonymous said...

JJ

This story just got me pissed off all over again.

Story: about 5 years ago a cousin of mine is visiting and mentions to my aunt that she's finally marrying her kids father after 12 years. My aunt decides that WE (me and her) should "help" her buy the dress - W H A T!!! When did I agree to that?!!! Anyway she goes ahead and gets a dress and my aunt puts it on her credit card along with a mini bridal dress for her daughter.

A week later girlie done gone home not leaving ANY money with my aunt, my aunt calls to inform me that I, yes I, I who JUST gone thru a divorce (BROKE) and had a young baby (MORE BROKE) owes her $260 for MY PART OF THE BILL - WTF!!! TALK ABOUT PISSED!!!

But my mother playing piece maker was like just send the money because you don't want to give people reason to have your name in they mouth, but mother I NEVER agreed to any such thing I just drove them to the store being nice. Response: well that is what nice cost you.

AND TO TOP IT OFF - 5 yes FIVE years later and 2 more kids and they STILL aign't married yet!!!!

Breathe girl BREATHE!! (I warned you that it still pisses me off, sorry for going off on your blog)

JayJayGhatt said...

LisaC, i need to put you and you're hubby on my daily read list. I keep forgetting.
hell no, i'm not getting that chic any accessories! i don't even answer her telephone calls anymore!

dee, can you believe the nerve?

Trinip, well woooooosaaaahhh to you too. Only relatives push us to the brink of insanity so, eh?

The Proverbs Wife said...

UNBELIEVABLE...