Sunday, September 2, 2007

Three's are the new Two's...WHO KNEW??



I went to a baby shower Saturday and some of the guests were discussing how more and more of their friends have bucked the trend and gone ahead to have a third child.

"THREES ARE THE NEW TWOS!"

My host said a co-worker told her that a half a year ago. Hmmm. Who knew?

I googled the term and guess what? USA TODAY did an article on it back in 2004! Since then several news outlets have reported the same thing!

They even go as far as saying that career women who quit after having their first are putting all their energy into having children and that wealthier families that can afford it are doing it more!

I KNOW I DIDN'T GET THIS MEMO


http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-03-09-cover-three-kids_x.htm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12513004


http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,221142,00.html
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/family/articles/2006/05/28/full_house/

and a story from 2007 linking wealth to larger families
http://www.businessweek.com/careers/workingparents/blog/archives/2007/08/the_new_fad_big.html
_________________


photo credit: photo is from the USA Today article

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen these stories and find them mildly amusing. We definitely weren't trying to follow or set any trends by having a third. :-P Every year though, a new set of stories seem to pop up about affluent parents having lots of children.

*Tanyetta* said...

i never heard of the article. i think it's a blessing to be able to have babies at all. 1, 2, 3 or more.

p.s. no, i'm not pregnant.

Natasha C said...

JJ,
I also didn't get the memo, but more importantly ANDY didn't get it either.
I'll have to refer him to this 'new scientific evidence' although I doubt he'll be convinced or even listen.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking bout investing in number 3. Right now I have 2 girls and i want a little boy so bad. eh first i have to find someone to have number 3 w/... we'll see

Anonymous said...

I missed the memo too, but I wasn't trying to redefine or follow the trend. It just happened that way.