Thursday, August 9, 2007

Flashback Thursday: Fashion Icon


Yes, that is me, baring my middriff and scrawny legs. I am diggin' the afro puffs. My mom(in the denim jeans) used to dress me and my little sister like twins even tho we were 5 YEARS APART! So I admit to dressing the boys identically ocasionally, but at least they are closer in age.

Seeing this photo reminds me of how OLD I AM. I do things, fashion and party wise, that I realize younger people simply do not do:


  • I carry a purse to a party. I remember when we just used to just walk with our IDs and a tube of lipstick tucked snuggly into the fifth pocket of our jeans
  • I drink wine at parties and if I do drink alcohol, I am smart enough to stick to one type of liquor (ie Vodka or Rum) the entire night. No more mixing and waking up with a hangover
  • I stick to more posh conservative dancing at clubs. NO, I will not be doing the Beyonce "Get Me Bodied" "Drop down low and hit the floor with it". At soca fetes, no more jumping on my partner's back, straddling his waist or getting whining down low to the floor. Not that my bad back and knees could take it even if I try...
  • I refreshen my makeup and hair in the bathroom. I actually "powder my nose". I remember thinking only old people excuse themselves to the bathroom to powder their noses...
  • I don't wear shorts, (maybe capri length shorts) but no more short shorts...
  • I stay away from trendy clothes, though I may rock trendy purses, jewelry and accessories ...
  • I listen to the adult contemporary station and actually stay stuff like "What is this noise?" when I hear some of the hip hop and R&B songs on constant rotation on the urban stations...
  • I shake my head at young scantily clad girls and think to myself. You'd think we were hating, but nope. We've caught our fish and have no interst in girating and booty shaking to get the attention of a man. Me and my friends bring shawls and sweaters with us to outdoor parties...
  • I THOROUGHLY enjoy myself at Back-in-Time, Back-in-the Day and Oldies, but Goodies parties...
  • At contemporary dance clubs, me and my friends sit by and watch in awe all the jiggling the younguns doing and then lose our minds when the DJ goes back in time and start spinning Culture Club, Michael Jackson and The Jets...
  • I pay full price at the door and don't haggle for a group discount with me and my 10-20 deep posse..
AND I STILL CONSIDER MYSELF FASHIONABLE, HIP AND CURRENT!!! IMAGINE THAT!

3 comments:

Natasha C said...

Yasmine looks exactly like Adama in that pic.

Anonymous said...

You were a cute little girl. I don't wear shorts either. What's with that?

JayJayGhatt said...

you're right, Natasha. I'm going to show that to Adama.

Thanks Traci. I feel too old for short shorts and maybe a lil self conscious of my varicous veins and chunky legs. But I think it's the age thing more.